User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

No Dock?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
No Dock?
plarsen111

2005-01-23, 21:33

I would love to keep using X, but get rid of the dock. Is there a shareware that allows for this?

What would be really nice is to be able to launch apps using the drop-down apple menu, as in 9.2.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

plarsen111
macgeek2004

2005-01-23, 21:48

Go into:

Macintosh HD/Applications/Utilities/Activity Moniter

Once Activity Moniter is open, if a window doesn't appear, then go into "moniter" and go "Show Activity Moniter"

In that window, you'll see all the applications that are open, and how much memory they take.

The Dock is one of them.

Highlight it, and press the "Quit Process" button in the top of the window.

It'll say "Are you sure you wan't to quit the Dock? and say "Yes".

Enjoy!
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-01-23, 22:04

Don't try deleting/removing from /System/Library/CoreServices/ and quitting, or else the finder will give you problems for some reason.
SilentEchoes
Unique Like Everyone Else

Send a message via AIM to SilentEchoes  
2005-01-23, 22:11

It gives you problems because the dock is not just the dock..

Its a master process in OS X that controls a lot of other stuff, Such as exposé.

Your best bet, IMO, is to just hide the dock and use a third party app. Anything else is going to be a hack that I wouldn't recommend using.

WARNING: Do not let Dr. Mario touch your genitals. He is not a real doctor.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-01-23, 22:19

What SilentEchoes said. If you outright nuke the Dock, you're going to lose a lot of other important features.

On top of that, I would strongly urge you to try out a vanilla Mac OS X setup for two weeks before you start to hack it to death with add-ons and utilities. Otherwise, you're going to missing out on a lot of the user experience at the heart of Mac OS X. Why even bother with Mac OS X if you're just going to be replacing its key components anyway? Just get a Windows or Linux box that's infinitely more customizable. Or stick with 9.2 since that's what you seem to like.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-01-23, 22:53

What Brad said. If you outright ignore OS X's setup, you're going to lose a lot of other important features and miss out on what makes it better then 9.

Seriously though, I know you want it to be like 9 or something, but use OS X as is, and you'll realize how stupid things are on other systems. The Dock is my favorite applications...also because I think it's in charge of command-tabbing.
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2005-01-24, 09:20

However, when all that is said and done, and you still feel that you want to add the Apple Menu of old (or variation) into OS X, then head over to VersionTracker and investigate utilities such as XMenu and Classic Menu. No promises made for stability, etc.
Stone Of Love
Veteran Member

Location: Detroit City is the place to be...maddog town gonna set you free
Send a message via AIM to Stone Of Love  
2005-01-24, 15:14

Can't speak to what would happen without the Dock, but I can tell you that "Fruit Menu" and "DockFun" are two great apps!

Fruit menu gives you the old OS9 functionality the apple menu had, and DockFun gives you "multiple" docks!! I like that the best. Because of DockFun, I don't use Fruit Menu like I did in the beginning of OSX, but I still have it, and like it!

OSX is a great OS, I'm even starting to like Panther on this old iBook G3 600!

Different Strokes, for Different Folks.
And So On and So On, and Skoobie Doobie Doobie.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2005-03-01, 16:32

I'm trying out dockfun, and it seems cool. But what I really want is more than one dock at the same time. Like, my main dock at the bottom with the normal stuff in, then another dock on the Left hand side (hiding, of course) full of video editing tools, and another on the right hand side with all the design-related stuff in. Any ideas if there's anything that would let me do that?