MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2007-06-26, 07:39

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/06/26plans.html
http://www.apple.com/iphone/easysetup/rateplans.html

Quote:
Pricing & Availability

iPhone goes on sale at 6:00 p.m. (local time) on Friday, June 29 and will be sold in the US through Apple's retail and online stores and AT&T retail stores. iPhone will be available in a 4GB model for $499 (US) and an 8GB model for $599 (US), and will work with either a PC or MacĀ®. All iPhone monthly service plans are available for individuals and families and are based on a new two-year service agreement with AT&T. Individual plans are priced at $59.99 for 450 minutes, $79.99 for 900 minutes and $99.99 for 1,350 minutes. All plans include unlimited data (email and web), Visual Voicemail, 200 SMS text messages, roll over minutes and unlimited mobile-to-mobile and a one-time activation fee of $36. Family plans are also available.
First question: Does that include night/weekends?

Never mind, missed the attached PDF. $59.99 has 5000 Night/weekend minutes, $79/$99 plans are unlimited nights/weekends.

I guess we'll get some clarifications today, and the reps (both AT&T and Apple) can finally start talking. I couldn't get an answer from an AT&T rep about the service plans when I asked yesterday afternoon.

Last edited by MCQ : 2007-06-26 at 08:11.
sunrain
Veteran Member

2007-06-26, 07:43

Sounds good to me.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-06-26, 07:49

This isn't bad at all. I was expecting much worse, actually.
bender0069

2007-06-26, 07:49

The prices are in the apple store
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2007-06-26, 07:52

I guess this answers another question about the "iPod" portion being used separately without activation, under the service plan tables:

Quote:
Minimum new 2-year wireless service plan and activation fee required to activate iPhone features, including iPod
bender0069

2007-06-26, 08:03

After watching the activation video I only have one question. It says it will add the new data plan to your existing service...Great! But what about the media works data plan I will no longer need. I wonder if it will take it off, or will I have to call AT&T and have them remove it manually, since I'll have no need for it. It also looks as if everyone will have to choose your plan on itunes and not activate in the store. That will probably speed the whole buying process up.

Now, do I still wait on buying one like I want too, get it now because I'm really itching for one, or wait for some moron who didn't bother to have a credit check and can't activate his to sell one maybe at a bit of a reduced cost.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-06-26, 08:21

Fantastic! Very reasonable prices - when I was on Cingular for a couple of years, $39.99 was the price for 450 minutes. This adds unlimited data + 200 SMS for $20. I probably can't get away with only 450 minutes, but $79.99 for 900 minutes is perfect.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2007-06-26, 08:30

Wow, color me surprised. Very nice terms IMO. The phone minutes are a bit skimpy, but unlimited data and the other perks mentioned make it very worthwhile, especially since you know you're going to be doing more email in lieu of calls sometimes.

This first plan will literally cost me only $20 $15 more per month than what I'm paying now, (since I now pay $5 for 200 SMS, and would cancel that a la carte option) and I NEVER go over my minutes. Hell, I have almost 3000 rollover minutes as it is.

Wow. This has suddenly made me want an iPhone so badly, I want to... get an iPhone.

Last edited by BuonRotto : 2007-06-26 at 08:42.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

2007-06-26, 08:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender0069 View Post
But what about the media works data plan I will no longer need. I wonder if it will take it off, or will I have to call AT&T and have them remove it manually, since I'll have no need for it.
I'm guessing that since the iPhone is treated as a new contract, that all your old plan features go bye-bye and you will sign up for "new" ones, even if you had some of them before.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2007-06-26, 08:32

The video answered a couple of questions for me:

1) How will phones purchased at the Apple Store be activated? iTunes does it for you.
2) How will we port our numbers? It's done when you activate through iTunes.

And it raised a couple more:
1) Is there no SIM card in there? Phone numbers are generally on the SIM card. Does the iPhone write to the SIM when its activated?
2) Why, oh why does calendar syncing not copy over categories for events created on the iPhone? You've got to choose a category for events created on the phone.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-06-26, 08:32

Probably a big surprise there is that they're offering family plans. Says a lot about their target audience which apparently isn't just those suits toting a blackberry.
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2007-06-26, 08:39

is there any way to get more SMS messages? i currently burn through anywhere from 5-20 in a given day so keeping it under 200 might be a tad difficult.

nevermind: $10 a month for 1500
neiltc13

2007-06-26, 08:44

So the minimum you'll be paying for iPhone is actually close to $2000.

You could buy a proper computer for that kind of money.
zippy
Veteran Member

2007-06-26, 08:49

They also have plans for 2000 minutes $119.99, 4000 minues $169.99 and 6000 minutes $219.99.

Someday, please God, can we get rid of all this minute-plan crap? Imagine calling your local land-line phone service and having them lay out a bunch of plans based on how many minutes you plan to use.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2007-06-26, 08:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

Don't be such a jackass. The minimum you'd pay for any other smartphone with all those features is ($39.99 (450 minutes)+ $44.99 (data + 1500 SMS)) x 24 = $2040, not including the price of the phone.

For an iPhone to be comparable, you'd need to add the $10 SMS package. $70 (rounded up and includes the extra SMS) x 24 = $1680 plus the price of the phone.

At worst, if the phone you get is free, the iPhone is only about $150 more. For an 8gb iPod nano that's a good deal.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

2007-06-26, 08:50

For my current phone, I'm paying only a little less over those two years. Let's say only $30 for the phone and about $50 per month for the service, both of which are basically true. I also paid about $60 for my original phone under this plan, but it broke. I won't count that. My bill is always $53 and change, but I'll round down. Over two years, that's $1230 total. I could buy a nice computer for that sum too! I think it's fairer to keep that comparisons relative rather than absolute like that. So I'm paying an extra $800 over two years based on your bean counting. Again, probably a bit more due to fees and such, but that's where that $3 and change comes in, and is the same as what I pay now over the two years, so relatively speaking, that doesn't even go up.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2007-06-26, 08:51

Quote:

If you already have an ATT plan, then it's only $480 over 2 years for the data plan, plus the cost of the iPhone of course.
zippy
Veteran Member

2007-06-26, 08:52

Quote:

Well that's $2000 over the course of 2 years.

And, you don't get data access for that computer for free either, so add another $20 or so per month. And you'll probably still have a cell phone right? So that's another $40 a month minimum.

We're talking apples and oranges here. An iPhone and a computer are meant to complement each other, not replace each other.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
faust

2007-06-26, 09:05

The $80 family option looks nice, maybe I'll splurge and get my gf one as well.
Doxxic
Veteran Member

2007-06-26, 09:27

Is 450 the least possible amount of minutes? You Americans call a lot!
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2007-06-26, 09:30

Sweet plans! What's even sweeter is you can transfer your number from another carrier directly through iTunes!

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-06-26, 09:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doxxic View Post
Rather, I think Americans like to think big. Bigger number = bigger ego = bigger self-satisfaction = bigger willingness to pour money out of one's wallet! Except for people who use cell phones for everyday business needs, I don't think I know anyone who actually needs that many number of minutes on the phone.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

2007-06-26, 09:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doxxic View Post
Hence all those rollover minutes. They used to have fewer minutes/cheaper plans but took them away. I foolishly upgraded rather than sticking with my grandfathered plan a while ago with a former gf who liked to have "sleepy" talks over the phone. Now I'm stuck with an ever-increasing and expiring amount of rollover minutes with no way to downgrade! My old plan was $10 cheaper per month with 300 anytime minutes, no rollover, 2500 night-weekend minutes.... almost perfect.
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2007-06-26, 09:38

450 is quite enough for me, especially when cingular to cingular doesn't count towards your minutes.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2007-06-26, 09:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBHockey View Post
450 is quite enough for me, especially when cingular to cingular doesn't count towards your minutes.
Currently I'm on a family plan with 2 other people and we share 500 minutes/month. Even with 3 of us we have hundreds of rollover minutes expiring each month. Especially since my cell phone is more of a 'call wifey on her cell' phone which uses no minutes.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2007-06-26, 09:45

We don't have a landline phone, so those minutes are well-used. I think that many people are in my situation.
sunrain
Veteran Member

2007-06-26, 09:58

Yeah, we got rid of our landline about three years ago. If people want to call me they call my number. If they want to talk to my wife, they call her number.

"What a computer is to me is it's the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with, and it's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."
- Steve Jobs
Eugene
careful with axes

2007-06-26, 10:05

Funny, the killer app for the iPhone for me is going to turn out to be the activation process. I hate dealing with phone salespeople, and I wasn't sure how Apple Stores were going to deal with activation, selling plans and transferring numbers...

Now we know...They won't handle it at all. They just sell you the retail box...BRILLIANT.

Biggest innovation in mobile phones in a very long time IMO.
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2007-06-26, 10:06

Did anybody else notice the 80GB capacity of the iPhone in that activation video?
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2007-06-26, 10:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
Funny, the killer app for the iPhone for me is going to turn out to be the activation process. I hate dealing with phone salespeople, and I wasn't sure how Apple Stores were going to deal with activation, selling plans and transferring numbers...

Now we know...They won't handle it at all. They just sell you the retail box...BRILLIANT.

Biggest innovation in mobile phones in a very long time IMO.
I 100% agree with this.