AppleNova Forums » Feedback »

Apple Nova and Google

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple Nova and Google
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2005-06-16, 18:11

This week it came as a shock to me when overnight the google results for "Appleinsider" did not list us as third or fourth. I haven't found us yet.

Why I found this odd is that on my one and only PC, I do not keep bookmarks (don't ask). I just type what I want into google, hit enter, and click the link I want. We have been number three or four since I started this practice 3 months ago, before then the need to surf via a PC was non-existant. I keep checking, but have not found us when using that search.

So what changed?

Yes, I know I am lazy but all I do is type an a and the browser fills in the rest.

Mile 1

Last edited by oldmacfan : 2005-06-16 at 18:13. Reason: additional information
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-06-16, 18:19

Try Applenova if you want our forums.
oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2005-06-16, 18:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
Try Applenova if you want our forums.
I never took much to the name AppleNova.com; I like appleinsider.org. I just found a reference to a post at position number 41. Someone did something, to stop ai.org from showing up in the top 5 results. The point wasn't how to find us, it was that we vanished overnight.

To me it smells fishy. Even the number 41 spot didn't say anything about ai.org, it referenced a Viva post that mentioned AI.com. Also alot of the references on that first page are to year plus old articles. I have tried this on several machines and browsers, so that isn't the issue.

Mile 1
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-06-16, 20:18

Seriously, though, why on earth would you expect a search for AppleInsider to point here at all?

We don't use the word AppleInsider anywhere on the site except, as you found, really old news and forum posts. We haven't used it in nearly a year. Google isn't going to magically show us in a high ranking for a term that less only 1% of our pages contain.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-06-16, 20:21

What's AppleInsider... am I missing something?

I've only been here since January, so I think I need a history lesson.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2005-06-16, 20:49

Google ranks on what's linked to a site, and the popularity of a site. We don't use the term, it belongs to another website. We are Applenova. If you want to find out about our forums, Applenova is the way to find them. The distinction between Appleinsider.org (from over a year ago) to Appleinsider.com is miniscule, and at this point I don't expect us to show up on Google anymore under Appleinsider.anything.

That's the breaks. I'm sorry if you don't like the name Applenova, but that's what won the vote off, and that's what we've got. We're not really .org at this point, and I don't think we're ever going to be. We actually became a seperate entity, which is what we were hoping we would become. Searching for anything else shouldn't really return a hit for our website. That's not what/who we are anymore.

Try Think Secret Forums as another set of search terms. That's who we are affiliated with.

I'm also totally smashed at this point, so if this post sucks. Lick me.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2005-06-16, 20:52

AppleInsider

Plus, read the "Viva la Revolucion" forum.
windowsblowsass

Send a message via AIM to windowsblowsass  
2005-06-16, 21:12

i am glad that at least now were openly calling it apple insider and not that place of which we do not speak
oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2005-06-16, 23:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Seriously, though, why on earth would you expect a search for AppleInsider to point here at all?

We don't use the word AppleInsider anywhere on the site except, as you found, really old news and forum posts. We haven't used it in nearly a year. Google isn't going to magically show us in a high ranking for a term that less only 1% of our pages contain.

Google did up until Tuesday. Why would it change overnight? That is the question. I found it odd, and I stated so.
oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2005-06-16, 23:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
Google ranks on what's linked to a site, and the popularity of a site. We don't use the term, it belongs to another website. We are Applenova. If you want to find out about our forums, Applenova is the way to find them. The distinction between Appleinsider.org (from over a year ago) to Appleinsider.com is miniscule, and at this point I don't expect us to show up on Google anymore under Appleinsider.anything.

That's the breaks. I'm sorry if you don't like the name Applenova, but that's what won the vote off, and that's what we've got. We're not really .org at this point, and I don't think we're ever going to be. We actually became a seperate entity, which is what we were hoping we would become. Searching for anything else shouldn't really return a hit for our website. That's not what/who we are anymore.

Try Think Secret Forums as another set of search terms. That's who we are affiliated with.

I'm also totally smashed at this point, so if this post sucks. Lick me.
Is that enough licking...

I know how google works, it worked just fine till the other night, then boom as if someone turned off a lightswitch. Appleinsider.org still points us.

Mile 1
oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2005-06-17, 11:38

Just a note that AppleNova has returned to #3. Google has fixed the problem and I am happy again.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2005-06-17, 13:18

Did anyone else notice this link when you search for "applenova"? It's on the second page, third down.

edit: Its not there anymore. Google no longer shows that page as a result for that search term. It just changed.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2005-06-17, 13:28

Thats the guy who's Brad's biggest fan, right? Seen it...
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2005-06-17, 13:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbartbeans
What's AppleInsider... am I missing something?

I've only been here since January, so I think I need a history lesson.
AppleNova, as the site is currently known, began as a response to an incident that occurred at the forums at AppleInsider.com. One of the original domains was appleinsider.org. Most (all?) of the original members (who signed up the first day, ie with low uids) came from AI.com. as mentioned earlier, you can find more information in the revolution thread (some of us were referring to the move from AI.com->AI.org as the Revolution*).

* Almost no blood was actually shed.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-06-17, 13:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubeDude
Did anyone else notice this link when you search for "applenova"? It's on the second page, third down.
Indeed. I thought I'd seen some reclusive, paranoia-stricken geeks before, but that guy takes the cake!
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2005-06-17, 13:53

Hahahahaha, I remember him. Maybe we should send him a cake.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2005-06-17, 14:12

Too bad he's still awaing e-mail confirmation. What a blowhard.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-06-17, 14:13

Quote:

edit: Its not there anymore. Google no longer shows that page as a result for that search term. It just changed.

Ah yes, him. That was pretty recent (obviously, since it talks about Tiger).

I love the "0 comments" thing at the bottom. Poor guy doesn't have any friends
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2005-06-17, 14:16

I was going to comment then realized i didn't want to break his perfect record.
sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-06-17, 14:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
Ah yes, him. That was pretty recent (obviously, since it talks about Tiger).

I love the "0 comments" thing at the bottom. Poor guy doesn't have any friends
That's not true. He has his morbidly obese cats, a penis ashtray and a chance encounter with Tom Savini to keep him warm at night. Jesus, I just realized this jerk is from my town.

Edit: You know, if we really wanted to send him a cake, I figured out where he works...

"Zolton, you take the cake. - Love, Applenova"

Could be brilliant. Or stupid.

"What a computer is to me is it's the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with, and it's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."
- Steve Jobs

Last edited by sunrain : 2005-06-17 at 16:17.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-06-21, 15:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyafterdark
Hahahahaha, I remember him. Maybe we should send him a cake.
Yeah, him. He was a character alright. By the way, w00t! we got mentioned in a blog on teh interweb!!1one! We've acieved 1337 h@x0rz status!1one!!

What's next for AppleNova? Who knows, we may just take over the world!

Come waste your time with me
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-06-21, 16:59

Quote:
Surreal and I'm sorry to say infantile
mike

2005-06-24, 21:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrain
That's not true. He has his morbidly obese cats, a penis ashtray and a chance encounter with Tom Savini to keep him warm at night. Jesus, I just realized this jerk is from my town.

Edit: You know, if we really wanted to send him a cake, I figured out where he works...

"Zolton, you take the cake. - Love, Applenova"

Could be brilliant. Or stupid.
I find all of this to be sad and pathetic. The fact that a group of this forum's users would deride and antagonize a fellow forum member for voicing his frustration with the lack of respect and courtesy shown to him when he asked a simple and relevent question merely re-enforces the statements he made in his blog posting. The fact that you cannot even see the relevancy of his statement is even more telling. It's users like yourselves who help to propogate the idea that Apple users are elitists who honestly believe they're better than everyone else. On the whole, I don't believe it's true but for the small sampling I see on this forum, it definitely is. Enjoy your feelings of superiority while it lasts for when you actually get out of school (if you ever do), you will all discover that the world is not high school, or college or grad school or even the vaunted halls of academia. It's cut throat and ruthless and those with the air of superiority are the selected first targets.
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2005-06-24, 23:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike
I find all of this to be sad and pathetic. The fact that a group of this forum's users would deride and antagonize a fellow forum member for voicing his frustration with the lack of respect and courtesy shown to him when he asked a simple and relevent question merely re-enforces the statements he made in his blog posting. The fact that you cannot even see the relevancy of his statement is even more telling. It's users like yourselves who help to propogate the idea that Apple users are elitists who honestly believe they're better than everyone else. On the whole, I don't believe it's true but for the small sampling I see on this forum, it definitely is. Enjoy your feelings of superiority while it lasts for when you actually get out of school (if you ever do), you will all discover that the world is not high school, or college or grad school or even the vaunted halls of academia. It's cut throat and ruthless and those with the air of superiority are the selected first targets.
first of all, your opinion differs from mine, so i'd appreciate it if you would just die, please. thanks.

second, i'm outta school. and (not so) merrily employed and feeding the economy. um, i feel like i should add: shithead?

/i'm not sure if i'm feeling mean or just joking. interpret as you see fit.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-06-24, 23:44

Quote:
The fact that a group of this forum's users would deride and antagonize a fellow forum member for voicing his frustration with the lack of respect and courtesy shown to him when he asked a simple and relevent question merely re-enforces the statements he made in his blog posting.
For the record, Mike, this is the thread in question: Downgrade to Panther - how?

I still don't see why he exploded and started accusing me of being childish. I tried to help him and offered several avenues of resolving his problems and that's my thanks?

Really, though, let's give it a rest. There's no need to open old wounds.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2005-06-25, 00:00

Zolton there did hook me up with a link to Night of the Living Dead in his blog, so he can't be all bad.
sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-06-25, 00:20

Quote:
I find all of this to be sad and pathetic.
Thanks for posting and welcome to AppleNova!
mike

2005-06-25, 00:51

Quote:
For the record, Mike, this is the thread in question: Downgrade to Panther - how?

I still don't see why he exploded and started accusing me of being childish. I tried to help him and offered several avenues of resolving his problems and that's my thanks?

Really, though, let's give it a rest. There's no need to open old wounds.
Yes, I did, in fact, read the thread in question. I agree with mczolton. Your tone was condescending and rude. Really, posting links back to the software vendor's site without knowing the history behind his complaint, which was only brought up because you asked, was childish at best. Further, it's the forum members here that are "opening old wounds." Just take a gander at everything your forum buddies have said. They're picking on his cat for Christ's sake. Not to mention calling him stupid, infantile, blowhard, paranoia-stricken and a jerk. All because he called you out on your tone and then complained on his own blog about the arrogance of today's internet users. How is that me opening old wounds? I think you'd better look around at your forum buddies as they're the culprits here.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-06-25, 01:36

Ladies and gents, say hello to Mark Zolton's (aka mczolton) good friend, Michael Culey! Nice work coming back to attack us, acting like some anonymous defender. What happened? Did you and Mark see a spike of hits in your server logs coming from AppleNova.com?

Or am I wrong and should we be confused that zolton.org is linked to by friedcherries.org (from your e-mail) which is run by Michael D. Culey? Whatever the case, it all seems a bit silly to come in here to defend a dead, pointless subject like this.

sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-06-25, 01:41

Quote:
...whatever the case, it all seems a bit silly...
Brad, I think the phrase you're looking for is...

"I find all of this to be sad and pathetic."

Edit:

Last edited by sunrain : 2005-06-25 at 01:56.