AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

Trying to track down 80s video game title

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Trying to track down 80s video game title
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2021-01-31, 03:17

Ok, this has been bugging me for days.

Back in the early-to-mid-80s, my family went to a party at someone's house, and they had a D&D themed video game for their home console. (I thought it was an Odyssey 2, or perhaps Intellivision, but it could have been a more esoteric console.)

I remember being absolutely blown away by it at the time, we were used to Adventure, fer chrissake.

Here's what I *think* I remember:

- It was an official TSR [A]D&D IP
- It was the first in a planned series, around elements (fire, water, etc, duh you get it)
- There was an actual prize of some sort for the first player to complete all four (five?) games
- There was a huge ad push in gaming magazines
- They never published all the games

I thought the name was DragonFire, but after looking at the game I'm 99% that isn't it. I seem to recall the boxes having that metallic foil printing though.

This ring any bells for anyone?

Update: SwordQuest. Atari.
https://www.atlasobscura.com/article...pgf4OdV_DLQIO8

Last edited by Kickaha : 2021-01-31 at 03:44.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-01-31, 23:50

Are there any young people on this forum?
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2021-02-01, 00:53

No.

Next question? XD

Actually, on further poking about, it turns out I merged two games in my head. The SwordQuest series had the elemental tropes and contest for real prizes. The one I vaguely remembered the screenshots from *was* on Intellivision, and it *was* AD&D IP. Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Cloudy Mountain.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-02-01, 02:17

Swordquest was AWFUL.

It felt like it was in the same vein as ET and Indiana Jones. The comic book that came with it was pretty dope, but otherwise: it stunk.

MY OPINION.

NBates
BANNED
I am a filthy spammer.

2021-03-10, 10:32

Oh man, I guess there is no other company that has influenced so much the gaming industry as Atari. I mean, back in the day they were the only company capable of developing a good video game. Yeah, surely they were having some really terrible projects, just like Swordquest. Honestly, I been hating on this game for my entire life. Despite the fact that I am already 40 years old, I still like to spend some of my free time gaming, or maybe gambling. Mostly, I am gambling online on YOUR MOM as it is probably the best platform that I have been playing on. I guess that my passion towards it, comes from my childhood, and the atari games had a great influence on me.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-03-10, 19:29

Okay can we initiate a complicated application form for new members?

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2021-03-10, 21:04

How about an 80s trivia quiz? Yeet the yoots.
Brendancald
BANNED
I am a filthy spammer.

2024-03-09, 08:06

That sounds like an incredible experience from the 80s! Discovering a D&D-themed video game back then must have been mind-blowing, especially compared to the more basic games of the time. It's fascinating how gaming has evolved over the years, isn't it?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2024-03-09, 22:32

Yes yes, Brendan. Rather like downtown Toledo has experienced a Renaissance in video game shops and prostitution. In fact, we have some fantastic links to virtual prostitution we'd like to discuss with you. Fellows? Shall we?

Brendancald
BANNED
I am a filthy spammer.

2024-03-11, 06:37

It's fascinating how gaming has evolved over the years, isn't it? Speaking of gaming, have you heard about Games That Pay Instantly to Cash App? It's a modern gaming platform where you can play fun games and potentially earn real cash rewards. It's a neat way to combine nostalgia with modern technology. If you're interested, I can share more details about how it works.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2024-03-11, 11:53

How does it work Brendan? Does it work like your momma? That is a thinly veiled suggestion that your mother is a prostitute, Brendan. Go away bot.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-03-11, 12:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendancald View Post
It's fascinating how gaming has evolved over the years, isn't it? Speaking of gaming, have you heard about Games That Pay Instantly to Cash App? It's a modern gaming platform where you can play fun games and potentially earn real cash rewards. It's a neat way to combine nostalgia with modern technology. If you're interested, I can share more details about how it works.
It's fascinating how Toledo spam-bots get banned so quickly.