Space Pirate

2021-10-12, 06:57

Jony Ive is back.

https://www.lovefrom.com/

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-12, 07:55

I suppose there is a point to that site? Everything is buried in link down beneath the home page?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-10-12, 08:16

They probably don't need work from the outside? Lots of existing connections.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2021-10-12, 13:00

Looks like a placeholder site to occupy the "space" to me. And yes, they don't need to advertise.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-10-31, 15:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I suppose there is a point to that site?
The point might be to remind us of everything that was bad about late era-Ive "design". Lots of art, zero function.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-31, 15:24

Ouch.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-11-01, 08:26

So true though.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-01, 08:49

Of course, and pointing it out doesn't belittle or downplay the good he did do (iMac, iPod, iPhone, various notebooks, etc.). Nobody's denying he didn't have a hand, and a strong role, in any universe-denting endeavors. But, at some point in the past 5-8 years, he seemed to get a little ridiculous or obsessed with the "form" side of the equation. I don't think there's any denying that either.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-11-01, 09:51

I can't dispute that Ive pushed a bunch of progress with the products, but clearly he crossed the line by removing what are arguably essentials for the pro user base.

Do I like that my phone got packed tighter? Yeah, but I would rather it thicker with more battery and no camera bump (as one example).

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-11-01, 10:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
Of course, and pointing it out doesn't belittle or downplay the good he did do (iMac, iPod, iPhone, various notebooks, etc.).
Yep!

Like, my post was snarky, but yes, I really mean that. I'm also quite disappointed by people (including Gruber and at least one manager at Apple Inc.) who gush over the website. Like, apparently there's a dozen different animations for how the comma appears. Great! Do these people know that guy was in charge of industrial design and UI design at Apple? For half a decade? The amount of customers who gave up on Pro Macs in that era cannot be zero.

Quote:
Nobody's denying he didn't have a hand, and a strong role, in any universe-denting endeavors. But, at some point in the past 5-8 years, he seemed to get a little ridiculous or obsessed with the "form" side of the equation. I don't think there's any denying that either.
Exactly. Show me that Ive is still able to create designs that are functional, pretty and (cherry on top) whimsical. Like a pulsating light on a laptop that indicates it's in sleep mode, but also looks nice (and is virtually invisible when it's not asleep), and has roughly the frequency of how humans breathe. Brilliant design from the early Ive era.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-01, 10:48

Going back to squared-off, full-thickness edges - as they’ve done with the iPhone 12 and 13 and these new MacBook Pros - may buy them a smidge more room for batteries without having to do the “terraced” type of design to better fill those tapered or rounded perimeters?

Having uniform thickness/depth across the span of a notebook, phone or tablet body might mean it’s easier to pack stuff in without having to custom-design novel, space-filling approaches?

I do find it interesting how there’s a return to things that worked so well in the past…the last two flagship iPhones look like the iPhone 4/5 from a decade ago.

The new MacBook Pro looks more like the PowerBook G4 or those very early Macbook Pros when they still looked more like a solid slab and didn’t have the tapered perimeter.

The iMac has gone back to colors, white bezels/keyboard (and I believe the upcoming non-pro redesign will as well, just as the original iBook and white MacBooks had). That’s all design/appearance cues from 20 years ago when these models were so popular, unique and screamed “Apple”.

Oh, and the Mac mini returned to silver (so Space Grey can be used for it’s rumored pro version).

A significant chunk of Apple’s lineup is taking on the design/appearance of iconic, beloved products from 1-2 decades ago.

I think they’re conveying something with that. “We kinda nailed it, years ago. We’ve deviated from it in recent years and maybe it’s time we look to the past, when it makes sense to do so.”

Fine with me! Good design is, in theory, timeless. It it works better a certain way, then returning to a modern take on that is allowed, IMO. There’s no dishonor or laziness in that. It’s admitting “hey, we had something good, but we’ve branched away from it over time.” They’re just refining/improving on proven design, instead of attempting to re-invent the wheel for no valid reason or tangible benefit.

Because we’ve seen what can result when form, thinness and minimalism are given priority on the wrong products…those things work better on consumer-oriented, non-pro products. Pro gear should never be subject to “looking sleek, above all else” thinking.

AS and the departure of Ive (or at least his day-to-day input/influence/direction) is what “saves” the Mac and returns it to its glory days. 2021-2022 will be when things turned around for Macs, IMO.

Couldn’t be happier.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-11-01 at 11:03.
chucker

2021-11-01, 11:01

Quote:
I do find it interesting how there’s a return to things that worked so well in the past…the last two flagship iPhones look like the iPhone 4/5 from over a decade ago. The new MacBook Pro looks more like the PowerBook G4 or those very early Macbook Pros when they still looked more like a solid slab and didn’t have the tapered perimeter. The iMac has gone back to colors, white bezels/jeyboard (and I believe the upcoming non-pro redesign will as well, just as the original iBook and white MacBooks had).
Yup.

And you don't have to be boring within those parameters — you can still introduce fun colors (cf. iMac, non-Pro iPhones, Watch bands).
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-01, 11:13

I’m betting the upcoming Air update/successor winds up being the most popular, best-selling Mac ever. It’ll have even better performance, it’ll be a new, fresh design, it’ll likely have some of the fun imac colors (like 20+ years ago) and, most importantly, it’ll be way the hell less than $1,999.

It’ll probably be a “superMac” type of thing, featuring the best aspects of the Air (affordability), iMac (styling) and new MacBook Pro (camera, display and keyboard), plus updated AS (M2?). How would such a thing not fly off the shelves all next year and beyond.
chucker

2021-11-01, 13:54

It's good to be in an era where, at least hardware-wise, most Macs are pretty good choices.

(I wish they'd invest more in software quality, though. Too many obvious UI glitches in some apps!)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-01, 15:53

It's a flip-flop what how things were 10-15 years ago...the OS and apps (iMovie, iTunes, Final Cut Pro, etc.) were solid, dialed-in, easy-to-use for what they did, etc. and the hardware was often a bit "well, yeah...but" at times.

Now the hardware/performance is something to write home about, but somewhere around Mavericks and iOS 7, the wheels kinda fell off a bit on the software QC front.

If those two things ever get on solid, equal footing...watch out!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-02, 10:46

Ive is speaking at a WIRED event next week.

May be of interest to folks here, to hear what he says about some stuff?

I hope the podium is too thin to properly hold his notes.

I'm here all week!
chucker

2021-11-02, 12:14

Quote:
I hope the podium is too thin to properly hold his notes.

I'm here all week!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-02, 14:02

Some things just write themselves.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-11-02, 15:56

Beautiful product. Put me down for eleventeen.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2021-11-02, 22:40

@psmith2.0 😂😂
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-11-03, 07:17

FINALLY some new artwork! 🤣

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-03, 08:16

I’ve been looking at all those old iPod ads and commercials from 20 years ago (silhouettes on color with the white device). Such a cool look, and really stood out. Seems like 500 years ago. All those commercials are on YouTube.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-03, 20:22

They've already created an award, to give to others.

Pretty, in a pointless kinda way. Companies do love to award other companies, I've noted over the years/decades...plaques, certificates, trophies, medals, etc. It's a whole industry within an industry.

At first look, I honestly thought it was a nicer-than-average beer coaster.

"Is he handing these out at Buffalo Wild Wings and Chili's?"

Quote:
Ive said that he is designing at LoveFrom the way he designed at Apple.

"For decades at Apple, one of my preoccupations has been this idea that if we have discipline in our thinking practice we hold ourselves accountable with our thinking, and the result is that we can be light with our implementation. This really has become such a central part to the way that we see problems and the way that we practice."
WTF is he even saying?

Anyway, at least it's more interesting than that website.

And I won't lie...I kinda liked this post in the comments section of the above article. I was searching for a way to make this point, but this person did it in a single, pithy sentence:

Quote:
Ordaining yourself an authority worthy of granting unsolicited awards to others takes self-importance to a whole new level.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-03, 21:02

Because I'm Idiot™...

I have this image of Ive dropping by some company to present this award, unannounced/unasked-for, and the person he's giving it to says "You know, because of you, I had to send my MacBook Pro in for keyboard repair/replacement three times. So you, and your tiny T-shirt, can fuck right off, and take your uppity beer coaster with you. We're trying to get some work done...".

But he'd even make that sound inviting or special.

I'm gonna be having fun with this man for years to come, I do believe. Anyone here who can't bear the thought, you may wanna do us both an enormous favor and go ahead and toss me on your ignore list.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-11-03, 21:10

Perfect, the BS master couldn’t have said it better himself.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-03, 23:40

None of this silliness is a reflection of that incredible 1998-201? era and his work on so many amazing things. I just want to be super clear on that.
chucker

2021-11-04, 02:43

Quote:
WTF is he even saying?
Sometimes, celebrities conclude that their best bet to continued success is to embrace their stereotypes and caricatures.
chucker

2021-11-04, 09:03

OK, I realize this is more Ive (or Apple in the Ive era) bashing, but… I didn't really realize the "sustainable practices" connection last night on my phone. Under Ive, Apple hardware really took… quite a lateral move in sustainability.

On the one hand, they've been moving their own facilities to be carbon-neutral. And they've removed a ton of packaging, especially plastic, and added some cardboard instead. Good stuff. On the other hand, and I do get the sense that this was driven significantly by a drive of Thinnovation™, more and more batteries were glued, more and more chips soldered, fewer and fewer parts easy to remove and replace. (This is one of the many things that's an improvement on the 2021 MBPs: there's a pull tab for the battery!)

So, call this character assassination, but is the guy who oversaw a trend of near-impossible component replacement the right one to hand out "sustainable practice" awards?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-11-04, 09:13

Likely not, it just pushes the ‘it’s broken, toss it in the trash’ mentality. It’s sure helps keeping sustainable profits though.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-04, 10:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
So, call this character assassination, but is the guy who oversaw a trend of near-impossible component replacement the right one to hand out "sustainable practice" awards?
Probably not, but who’s ever going to point this out or say it out loud? That whole field seems to be quite heavy on the hypocrisy/do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do front.

They’d love nothing more than to all meet up somewhere (via dozens, if not hundreds, of private planes) to present Ive with a green/sustainability award…for creating a green/sustainability award.