User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

I am confused about Library

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
I am confused about Library
tacvbo83

2006-09-25, 17:13

What is the difference in Macintoch HD Library folder and the one personalized below Desktop on the same window? (if can't understand I will edit it later to be more clear) I am installing .vst files and dont seem to understand why some things go to one and not the other, etc, etc. Also how come on one I have more fonts on the font folder in the Library than the other font folder from the other Library folder?

MBP 1.83 GHz, 2GB RAM
GladToBeHere

2006-09-25, 17:26

The Mac HD library is system-wide and will offer whatever is in there to any user accounts on the computer. The library in your home folder is specific to you and won't be accessed by others.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-09-25, 17:54

Here's a bigger explanation from an old post of mine.

http://forums.applenova.com/showpost...04&postcount=7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
There are three important ones I'll discuss:
  • /Library
  • /System/Library
  • ~/Library
The Library folders are where your applications keep their settings and support files. This is where you'll find preferences, fonts, caches, databases, scripts, and just about any files that you don't explicitly save yourself. So, why are there three of them? Three words: permissions and inheritance.

/System/Library is not writable by anyone. This contains files that belong to the system and that apply to everything everywhere. This includes the default system frameworks and libraries.

/Library is stored at the top level of your hard drive. It is only writable by admin users. You would store in there files that you want to apply to everything. For example, if you put a font in here, all users will have access to it in their software. If you put a screen saver here, all users will be able to select and use it.

~/Library is located in your home folder (the ~ is unix shorthand for your home, as SonOfSylvanus mentioned). Each user has one and it is only accessible by that specific user. Files you place here will apply only to you (or a given user). If you put a font here, only you will have access to it.
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-09-25, 21:34

An example:

If I were to put a screen saver in my Home-based Library, only I can use it. Another user on his/her own account won't be able to access it even if they try to navigate to it while choosing a screen saver in System Preferences.

However, if I were to put that screen saver into the System's Library, every user on my computer will be able to use it.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-09-26, 02:15

Quote:
However, if I were to put that screen saver into the System's Library, every user on my computer will be able to use it.
And by this, you *don't* mean /System/Library but /Library. One should never put anything in /System/*.
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-09-26, 05:24

Right, exactly.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-09-26, 07:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracksSi View Post
An example:

If I were to put a screen saver in my Home-based Library, only I can use it. Another user on his/her own account won't be able to access it even if they try to navigate to it while choosing a screen saver in System Preferences.

Right.

Just like I said in my post.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-09-26, 07:54

(edit) Never mind. Whatever, fuck.

Last edited by chucker : 2006-09-26 at 07:59.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-09-26, 07:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
I don't see the harm in him giving a concrete example, which you did not.
I gave more than one concrete example. I'll repeat them in bold for emphasis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
/Library is stored at the top level of your hard drive. It is only writable by admin users. You would store in there files that you want to apply to everything. For example, if you put a font in here, all users will have access to it in their software. If you put a screen saver here, all users will be able to select and use it.

~/Library is located in your home folder (the ~ is unix shorthand for your home, as SonOfSylvanus mentioned). Each user has one and it is only accessible by that specific user. Files you place here will apply only to you (or a given user). If you put a font here, only you will have access to it.
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2006-09-26, 08:01

Grief. You two are worse than an old bickering married couple.... I love it!

I don't know why people ever need to *pull up* a lawn chair and booze. It's the only way to read this place!
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-09-26, 08:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majost View Post
Grief. You two are worse than an old bickering married couple.... I love it!

I don't know why people ever need to *pull up* a lawn chair and booze. It's the only way to read this place!
I'm glad you're having fun.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-09-28, 01:21

And neither Library is to be confused with Delicious Library, a.k.a. the best Mac OS program ever - at least for obsessive compulsive types like me. I give it to disinfected and gloved thumbs up!

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Mac+
9" monochrome

2006-09-28, 01:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman[/b
I give it to disinfected and gloved thumbs up!
Who is this "disinfected and gloved thumbs up" person you talk of?