Can I delete OSX from Macbook

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Can I delete OSX from Macbook
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Graphguy
can't type

2007-02-28, 20:33

Hello,

I'm looking at getting a new laptop, and i like the size and pricepoint of the Macbook.

I know that it's possible to run Vista through Bootcamp or Parallels, but since I wouldn't be using OSX, is it possible to completely delete it off the HD, and only run Windows on it? Thanks!
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2007-02-28, 20:35

Check out the Similar Topics.

Last edited by PKIDelirium : 2007-02-28 at 20:35. Reason: Posts merged
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2007-02-28, 20:35

No, use OS X, it's better. And you'll be slapped if you ask that again in an Apple user forum.

Don't post duplicate threads.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-02-28, 20:36

Why not just go buy a dell, dude
Graphguy
can't type

2007-02-28, 20:44

An Apple sale is an apple sale, right? Why not Dell? Because I like the size and price of the Macbook, but prefer Vista over OS X...

But do I have to keep it on the HD, or can I delete the OSX partition?
rasmits
rams it

2007-02-28, 20:47

I don't think you can delete the OS X Partition, but you can make it so miniscule it isn't even relevant. The MacBook can be configured to boot into Vista by default, and you'd never know OS X was on there.

I highly recommend you give OS X a good, long try though.

You had me at asl
Schnauzer
Veteran Member

2007-02-28, 20:48

I believe when you go to the format window when installing windows you can go to the top of list and reformat the whole drive windows
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-02-28, 21:19

Remember that without having OS X, any updates to the Windows drivers will by a crapshoot for you. Apple has updated the Windows drivers at least twice (maybe 3 times), each time making the Macbook more functional in Windows.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2007-02-28, 21:28

Your the first (I've noticed ) buying a Mac just to run Windows. I guess that it had to happen.
Graphguy
can't type

2007-02-28, 21:35

I actually got the idea from a friend, that got a Macbook, but only uses it to run windows.

I figure it's a waste of space if you can't delete the Mac partition, so there ya go. I'm sure there are quite a few like him out there. You're not surpriced though, are you? I mean if it's possible to boot into windows from a Mactel...
Graphguy
can't type

2007-02-28, 21:38

Really? But I mean it's basically a regular Intel laptop, that uses the same off the shelf parts that other laptop manufacturers use, right? (Except for the BIOS or no BIOS of course) So wouldn't it be possible to update the drivers through Windows?

Having a tiny 10 gig or so OSX partition wouldn't kill me, I suppose...

But thanks for the replies!
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-02-28, 21:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
Why not just go buy a dell, dude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphguy View Post
An Apple sale is an apple sale, right? Why not Dell? Because I like the size and price of the Macbook, but prefer Vista over OS X...

But do I have to keep it on the HD, or can I delete the OSX partition?
Sorry, I wasnt trying to be an ass. I was mocking the Dell "dude" guy. Came off wrong, I apologize.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2007-02-28, 21:40

Not surprised, come to think about it, but confused. Why run Windows at all if you don't have to?
Partial
Stallion

2007-02-28, 21:41

Why not run OS X?

OS x : Windows as MacBook : 17" Inspiron clunker laptop everyone in college has
rasmits
rams it

2007-02-28, 21:41

Believe it or not, some people actually prefer to use Windows.

I know, I know. It baffles me too.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2007-02-28, 21:47

Quote:
That's really the best way to go. OS X gives you access to Apple's tools for upgrading/managing BootCamp. You can also boot into OS X to troubleshoot the Windows partition if necessary.

Plus, there is the "cool" factor of having two OSes, and last but not least, the ability to get curious and play with OS X at your leisure.

threads merged and redundant posts deleted

Last edited by FFL : 2007-02-28 at 21:47. Reason: Posts merged
rasmits
rams it

2007-02-28, 21:47

Plus, keeping OS X will provide great ease in reversing your wretched mistake once you've grown wise to your past wrong-doings.
Graphguy
can't type

2007-02-28, 22:01

Plus, keeping OS X will provide great ease in reversing your wretched mistake once you've grown wise to your past wrong-doings.

LOL! Thanks! That way I won't have to burn in hell for an eternity, as other Windows-users, eh?

I actually HAD to use OS-X in my school, and besides the fact that it seemed to crash a lot on me, i Didn't MIND it that much. I just prefer windows, especially Windows Vista.

(My Ipod dying on me, after a little over a year, hasn't really improved my trust in all things Apple, either)
rcm8

2007-02-28, 22:09

Did your iPod die because of hardware or software? If hardware, which is highly likely, then your logic is severely flawed. Not trusting Apple because your iPod failed as the result of a hardware issue shouldn't lead you to buy a Macbook (Apple hardware) and install Windows on it.

I understand that you might prefer Windows over OS X. That's fine. But, you're the first person I have talked to who "trusts" Windows Vista more than OS X.

Good luck.

Ryan
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2007-02-28, 22:09

Give us some details if you would -

- what are you going to use Windows Vista to DO, and what applications will you use to do it?

- what did you use OS X to do in school?
rasmits
rams it

2007-02-28, 22:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL View Post
- what did you use OS X to do in school?
And when, I think, is important. OS X was no saint of reliability back in the 10.0 - 10.1 days.

I've also found OS X to be unreliable on older hardware. I get more kernel panics in 3 days on my iMac G3 than my G4 PowerBook has had in a lifetime.

There are a lot of factors, Graphguy, that could influence your experience with unreliability. I've found OS X to be extremely reliable with very little work, given the hardware is in good shape. (Ram is a big one).

You had me at asl
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-02-28, 22:23

Quote:
Really? But I mean it's basically a regular Intel laptop, that uses the same off the shelf parts that other laptop manufacturers use, right? (Except for the BIOS or no BIOS of course) So wouldn't it be possible to update the drivers through Windows?

But thanks for the replies!
When have you known anyone but the machine's manufacturer to come out with updates for drivers, even on generic windows boxes? Apple is the manu of the MacBook and they have chosen (and will likely continue to choose) to distribute updates via the bootcamp assistant.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Graphguy
can't type

2007-02-28, 22:32

Well, I went to journalism school, so while the computers were a mix of older G3 and newer G4s, the OS was always updated to the latest edition: 10.3.

(This is actually one of the things that I really like about OS X, you can run a new version of it even on old hardware)

We used it to surf, DTP and wordprocessing, and it used to crash so hard on me, that I had to pull out the powerplug. This happened maybe once or twice a month, my XP laptop didn't crash nearly that often. Percieved stability isn't the only reason why I prefer Windows though, there's lots of other reasons (Better HW support, more software available, the User Interface)

I imagine I'll use my next laptop for a mix of business and pleasure, so I'll run a couple of games on it, Office 07 for Wordprocessing, Photoshop and Picassa for pictures/imagemanipulation, Firefox/IE7 for surfing, and probably some light DTP with Adobe Indesign.

Oh, and Windows Media Player/VLC for video and audiofiles, and NERO for recoding avimovies and DVD burning.

When have you known anyone but the machine's manufacturer to come out with updates for drivers, even on generic windows boxes?

Well, on my desktop system, and soon to be former laptop, new updates and drivers are often available from the manufacturer of the (for example) videocard or networkcard directly (Such as Ati, Intel, or Railink). So I would imagine that I would get new videodrivers from for example Intel directly, no?

Last edited by Graphguy : 2007-02-28 at 22:32. Reason: Posts merged
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2007-02-28, 22:41

Quote:
Percieved stability isn't the only reason why I prefer Windows though, there's lots of other reasons (Better HW support, more software available, the User Interface)
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2007-02-28, 23:05

Quote:
Better HW support, more software available, the User Interface
I don't want to push again as everyone as already told you the "good" decision to make I'll just tell you how it happened to me

I used Mac at school too. G4. Can't tell if it was 10,3 or 10,4 cause at that time, I didn't give a fuck. I just hated Mac. I was so ... unWindows. I then worked at a place where I was "forced" to use Mac. I saw my teammates do some cool stuff and they worked really fast. I understood that it was just a matter of time to be confortable and be as fast as in Windows.

For your "more software available" thing. Let me tell you that one of the first thing I did was to install Boot Camp when I got my Mac Pro. It was my "security". I didn't know how to something ? Boot in XP et voilà ! I then discovred that OSX as a lot of software avaible. Maybe less then Windows but how far more quality ! You can't even compare. I now boot in XP only to play games... no more than that.

So my tip is : Install Boot Camp if you want, as a security, but let you a little bit of time to find the right software. From what you listed, OSX as a equivalent for everything (equivalent=way better ) You could always come here and ask for some help. We'll be glad to tell you what programs are good or anything.

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
arnoct

2007-03-01, 21:13

Honestly--while I admire you wanting to buy a macbook, you can get a comparable Acer or Dell laptop that has everything but the apple look--and even then, there are laptop manufacturers who make laptops that look very similar to the Macbook.

Basically, what I'm trying to get to is why do you even need an apple laptop if you have no intention of using it for what it was made for (running OS X?)

I admit I prefer Windows for some tasks, but if I wanted to run Windows on my laptop I wouldn't spend extra money paying the "Mac Tax" so I can run a version of Windows with drivers that rarely get updated. There's also the fact that the trackpad is one-button, meaning you'll need a mouse all the time; Boot Camp doesn't even work properly with Vista (there are many driver issues, mostly with input and even if you got everything working properly the power management isn't very good with Windows and Mac hardware--hope you enjoy cutting your battery life significantly.

You honestly would be better off buying a Core 2 Duo Acer or Dell; they won't look like Macbooks but they'll do you a lot better and would most likely be cheaper.

Otherwise, suck it up and run OS X--but for the love of god, do not buy a Mac just so you can run Windows on it. This isn't from the perspective of a Mac Zealot (I have a PC as my main machine, and I use my Mac for school,) it's from the perspective of someone who really doesn't want you to make a horrible decision. Macs can run Windows, yes--but they run OS X a lot better.
rollercoaster375

Send a message via AIM to rollercoaster375 Send a message via MSN to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Yahoo to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Skype™ to rollercoaster375 
2007-03-01, 23:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmits View Post
Believe it or not, some people actually prefer to use Windows.

I know, I know. It baffles me too.
I know people who prefer Windows... But they wouldn't be caught dead using Vista.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-03-01, 23:48

Graphguy, I just wrote an article ABOUT YOU!!! You're not the only person I've seen asking about this and it's very interesting to observe.... have to say that I agree with the others suggesting you find a machine designed to optimize your Windows-using experience.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-03-02, 02:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollercoaster375 View Post
I know people who prefer Windows... But they wouldn't be caught dead using Vista.
Same. All the Windows enthusiasts I know (oxy-moron) won't touch Vista with a ten-foot pole until SP1.

That said, when I saw the title of this thread, I figured he wanted to install some Linux distro on it... go figure...

The security issues alone are enough to prevent me from ever using Windows as a primary OS. I need my computer to just work. With all the malware out there, that's never a guarantee with Windows. (Granted its never a guarantee for my Mac either, but its damn close.)

Quote:
(Better HW support, more software available, the User Interface)

1. How is using a computer where the OS and the hardware are supplied by the same vendor offer less support than a computer where the hardware and OS come from different vendors? Thats one of the things I hate most about the PC world. Dell tells you to call Microsoft, and Microsoft tells you to call Dell.

2. I'd take quality software over more software any day of the week.

3. You prefer a user interface that is at best, on par, and at worst, vastly slower than XP? Not to mention the lack of consistent UI guidelines, resulting in a frankenstein-esque experience across different apps?

I'm sorry, but after weighing all the different factors carefully and for many years, I've come to the conclusion that aside from working in an environment where you are forced to use Windows by the powers-that-be (your bosses), there's no good reason to prefer or use Windows.

EDIT: Addendum. Once Apple releases a version of iTunes for Linux, THEN there will be no good reason to use Windows.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.

Last edited by Kraetos : 2007-03-02 at 02:24. Reason: Posts merged
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-03-02, 02:26

Guys, stop flaming him. An OS is a personal choice, and none is inherently better than another. OS X is certainly not better in all ways than Windows XP or Vista.

I, too, would recommend you leave a small, minimal installation of OS X on your hard drive, if only to keep Boot Camp up-to-date and allow for maintenance/diagnosis.