Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iPhoto 5 RAW Support

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhoto 5 RAW Support
NeilyB 2.0

2005-01-23, 21:51

Hi all,

I primarily use iPhoto as an organization tool. In version 4, I always had it set so that when I double clicked a pic in iPhoto it would open it in Photoshop CS since that's where I do my editing anyway. When I shot in RAW, i kept those in a seperate directory. I was psyched to see that iPhoto 5 reads RAW, so now I can keep all my files tidy and in one place.

When importing RAW files to iPhoto, it automatically converts it to jpeg for review in iPhoto, and keeps the RAW file in an originals folder. Problem is when I double-click on a photo (that was taken in RAW) in iPhoto 5, it opens the jpeg version in Photoshop rather than the RAW. If you're opening a photo that you shot in RAW to edit it, wouldn't it make sense that it open the RAW version and not the 8 bit jpeg version? To me, the way it is now is pointless. The only way to open the RAW file in Photoshop is from within Photoshop through the open dialog box.

Am I missing something? Does anyone know of a way to have it open the RAW file in PS? It seems to me an odd thing for them to have overlooked. If iPhoto allows you to edit in your program of choice, and obviously if you shoot in RAW you want to do some editing, it only makes sense they would let you open the RAW file from within the program.

NeilyB