drewprops
Space Pirate

2016-04-25, 20:49

Has anybody seen this gizmo??

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-04-26, 00:11

That is awesome...until the day you realized you left it in a client's computer...or in the couch...
drewprops
Space Pirate

2016-04-26, 00:25

Yup.

I would want to have a USB cord going to it so that I didn't accidentally hit it and bend the connector.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-04-26, 00:37

I do actually love that you can get that kind of capacity. I remember my first flash drive was a whopping 16MB!! I got it free with a Gateway laptop I purchased from a local Gateway Store. It was a fine flash drive for it's age. I have no idea where it is now though.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2016-04-26, 19:55

Luxury, sheer luxury... I still have my 256MB jump drive

EDIT: wait, yours was only 16MB?

Okay, you win!!!

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2016-04-26, 20:12

Whippersnappers, with your 'USB' and whatnot. Back in my day we had 5.25" 44MB Bernoulli drives from SyQuest with a full SCSI interface as god intended! We flipped jumper DIPs and selected SCSI IDs manually and we *liked* it!

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2016-04-26, 20:35

Meh you're just a infant! 44MB that's huge! Our SE took floppy disks (3 1/2 inch type) that were 1.44MB's each! The 100MB hard drive, which was a SCSI add on to the SE, was bigger than a Mac Mini (or G4 Cube for those who remember them). My mother sometimes talks about how when she worked in a local university they were still using huge tape drives (like the size you used to see movie theatre videos played on) for storing less than a 1MB of data.

As to the original question, yes I've seen things like that. I believe Sandisk and Intel make similar devices.

Last edited by PB PM : 2016-04-26 at 20:45.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-04-26, 20:51

Losers!

We had an Apple ][+ with twin 5 1/4" floppies with 480KB each! Oh, yeah. ProDOS running in one drive and Loderunner in the other and I was king of the world, baby!

Get a real computer, suckers!

And, no, Poodrops, I have not seen your dongle.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2016-04-26 at 21:07.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2016-04-26, 20:54

ProDOS?? Poseur, puhleeze! DOS 3.3.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-04-26, 21:08

I knew there was something wrong with you.

And where's the Geriatric at? He probably remembers punch cards and vacuum tubes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-04-26, 21:52

Well, since we are going all the way back... My first computer was an ADAM computer that used cassette tapes for media!

Quote:
Secondary storage: Digital Data Pack tape cassette, 256 kB
I think my printer is smarter than this thing was. I did learn programming thanks to this computer though.

In the Navy I used punch tape on one of my drive machines. In fact, I still have a program I wrote for the punch reader to load. Not sure where that tape is now, but it's paper tape and "safe" right now. I think those machines were from the '60s.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2016-04-26, 22:55

You chucklewads can play the "old timey card" all you want, but I recently had to recover a bunch of SyQuest disks and YOU try and find the drivers for that stuff out there on the internet!!!

Good old 709 gave me some drivers that nearly worked and sent me looking for the correct files (successfully).

I recovered that mess, but most of the files were compressed with Disk Doubler, so I have ANOTHER work session in store for me in the very near future as soon as I can dig back to my old Blue & White G3 WHICH had experienced a failure of its boot drive and would have been useless if it were not for the availability of a second B&WG3 whose boot drive I stole.

EDIT: and yes, yes, yes, my tower has TWO DIFFERENT SCSI lines coming out the back and let me tell you THAT was a bit confusing after 20-something years...

So, pipe down, my bitches.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2016-04-26, 23:56

Cap'n drew, I want your manbabies.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-04-27, 10:03

Oh, oh, oh, can I name one?

Kicking Pirate

Yeah, that'll do just fine!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-04-27, 14:05

We are not worthy.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2016-04-27, 21:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
I recovered that mess, but most of the files were compressed with Disk Doubler, so I have ANOTHER work session in store for me in the very near future as soon as I can dig back to my old Blue & White G3 WHICH had experienced a failure of its boot drive and would have been useless if it were not for the availability of a second B&WG3 whose boot drive I stole.
Psst... Hey Drew... I might be able to help out here. I just fired up my old SheepShaver VM, and I still have a working Mac OS 9 here on my desktop. I even found a working copy of Norton DiskDoubler 4.1. I'd be happy to process some files for you. PM me if interested. It's probably easiest to shuffle the files back and forth over something like Dropbox.

I also still have my dual G4 sitting in the closet too if that doesn't work. The internal battery died and it always boots into 1970, but otherwise I think it's still operational. I haven't actually tried booting it in a couple years...

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2016-04-27, 21:30

drewprops
Space Pirate

2016-04-27, 21:33

Woah, you must have JUST posted as I did, Brad!!! O.o

I will get in touch with you when I can.

The big problem with OS X is that the OS 7/8/9 resource fork gets stripped out!!!

Chinney
Veteran Member

2016-04-27, 21:48

In my case,

Not really mine. My dad bought it. Man that thing did not do very much. It looked pretty good though, for the era.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-04-28, 11:22

You know, I'd been feeling pretty young up until you bastards started this contest.

Go suck an egg, old farts!
¡Damned!

2016-04-28, 17:16

If Brad's solution doesn't work for you, Drew, I have a working Quicksilver that I pull out every year to play the Marathon Trilogy as intended, and since that time is coming up (mid-June) I'd be happy to pull it out early. I know I have a copy of DD somewhere backed-up.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-04-28, 18:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Marathon Trilogy
Durandal is watching you!

I have all three, as well as Pathways into Darkness, which I actually think is the better game. I can still boot my iMac G4 into OS 9 and entertain myself for hours!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
¡Damned!

2016-04-28, 18:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Durandal is watching you!
I'm a Tycho apologist. Not gonna lie.

Quote:
I have all three, as well as Pathways into Darkness, which I actually think is the better game.
So you've never played Marathon. You should. ~years later it is still as fun as ever. Sure, the graphics are janky as hell compared to now, but the storyline is unparalleled and the AI interaction is the best ever. I wouldn't be keeping a dusty old handled-thing around if it wasn't, would I?

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2016-04-28 at 18:30.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-04-28, 18:51

Oh, no. I've played Marathon, Durandal, and Infinity all the way through, multiple times and with multiple heart attacks! Damn S'pht make me wanna kill things!

And, yeah, the graphics are whonky, but, hey, it was, like 1994 or something.

thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2016-04-29, 16:46

Quote:

And, no, Poodrops, I have not seen your dongle.

thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2016-04-29, 16:51

Quote:

And where's the Geriatric at? He probably remembers punch cards and vacuum tubes.
Yes i remember punch cards, and if by vacuum tubes you mean Valves then yes to that also.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2016-04-29, 22:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegeriatric View Post
Yes i remember punch cards, and if by vacuum tubes you mean Valves then yes to that also.
I want more.

A story!

A story!

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2016-04-29, 23:56

kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-04-30, 11:45

Say us the tell!
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2016-04-30, 15:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I'm a Tycho apologist. Not gonna lie.

So you've never played Marathon. You should. ~years later it is still as fun as ever. Sure, the graphics are janky as hell compared to now, but the storyline is unparalleled and the AI interaction is the best ever. I wouldn't be keeping a dusty old handled-thing around if it wasn't, would I?
I'm sure you know that you can play the entire Marathon series on OS X, but I don't blame you for keeping an old Mac around anyway. They're fun.

I mean just look at this: