User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

FAKE Registrar Email to Apple Users (or not)?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
FAKE Registrar Email to Apple Users (or not)?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-10-11, 16:35

So is this a scam or not a scam?

I occasionally help a friend with his website and he recently received an email from his registrar that seems just a bit weird because it only gave him a few days to respond. Here's what it said:

Quote:
As a part of security processes, the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) certificate in place to ensure your emails are securely delivered will expire on [DATE]. Prior to this date, we will install a new SSL certificate. As a function of this update, Apple device users will need to update their mail account settings to continue receiving email.
It then directs him to switch his incoming and outgoing mail servers to "mail1.hostingplatform.com"

The email finishes by saying that this does not affect users on Windows/Android platforms.

I think it's a super sneaky scam.

What do you think?

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-11, 17:01

I think I don’t believe anything unless it comes from people I know.

Overkill, perhaps. But it has kept me safe and digitally un-monkeyed with all these years. If I receive anything unsolicited or untriggered by my own doing (signing on with my Apple ID on a new, different device, etc.) I automatically just figure it’s bullshit in some form.

And since nothing negative has ever resulted from my ignoring/deleting it, I figure I’ve been more right in my assumptions/hunches than not.

YMMV. I don’t know enough about this particular topic to speak with any authority - Brad and others here would - but proceed with caution. And always trust your gut. I think it sounds kinda shady/fishy, and like they’re trying to get you to tweak settings you shouldn’t need to. But what do I know?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-11, 17:19

Likely legit actually. If they are forcing the use of encryption for email connections they it would impact those phone settings. That isn't from the registrar though, it sounds like it is from the hosting company that manages the email server they use.

If the primary domain, in this case "hostingplatform.com" is the company they host their email with then they would want to follow the instructions. Generally speaking though, most hosting companies will have support pages with greater detail than an email would. Check for that.

If the user doesn't host with "hostingplatform.com" then they should likely ignore it... but chance that it might mean emails stop working if it is actually from their hosting provider.

With the push for encryption these days I wouldn't be surprised if it is legit.

If you want to PM me specifics I'll check on it for you and let you know. Domain name and hosting company would be great.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-10-11, 17:39

Thanks T, I will PM you.

But for the sake of others out there, the mail server they're wanting my friend to point to is LITERALLY "hostingplatform.com"!!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-11, 21:55

Adding the ‘mail.’ subdomain to the front isn’t required at all. We are just conditioned to expect it. My guess if their reseller expects to save money by not getting a wildcard cert for their domain so the primary cert works for email now too. Any number of reasons could apply though.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.