User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Lacie external HD question.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Lacie external HD question.
pgre

2005-03-30, 08:39

OK.. this may be a daft question.. but have only just switched to a Mac so go easy.

On my new Lacie External HD.. it has a folder called "Desktop Folder" already created.. my question is why ?

Is there something significant about this folder ?
If you could shed some light on this I'd be greatful..
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-03-30, 10:23

You can trash it if you like.

The Desktop Folder is a remnant from the old pre-Mac OS X operating systems. They had a feature where files could be stored on removable media like your Lacie drive but would appear on the desktop. These files were stored in an invisible folder at the top of the drive named, you guessed it, Desktop Folder. While this feature added a minor convenience to some folks, it was very confusing to others, especially to former Windows users. So, it was axed when Mac OS X was born.

There is a small group of applications that may accidentally recreate that folder (and sometimes one called Temporary Items). If that ever happens, you can safely trash it again. This is just a holdover from really old applications that were never properly converted for Mac OS X.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
pgre

2005-03-30, 11:29

Great.. thanks for the help..

I was a little unsure about Trashing it and there were no references to this that I could find.

I am just about to buy my Second Mac (a PwrMac) but not sure if I should wait for the new Dual Core units that are bound to be on the horizion... but there is another issue. It's good to know that whether it be PC or Mac the age old problem of when to buy is always the same.
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2005-03-31, 07:06

Buy now.... Retail Therapy - Hmmmmmm