User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Powerbook 15" or 17"

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Powerbook 15" or 17"
mvalenstein

2005-06-26, 15:59

In August I plan to purchase either a powerbook 15" or a 17" powerbook. Right now I'm not sure which one I should buy and I'm hoping that you here could lend me some advice.

Well as a 'soon to be' mac convert, I'm not incredibly concerned about the size of the 17" pb being too big, but I'm wondering if someone could reccomend a computer based on my scenario.

I'm a student starting high school in the fall and I currently have an old laptop that I use. I do not travel with the computer, to say that I have never flown with the computer I have now, I don't take it on the bus, no need to take it to school etc. The only time that the computer is moved is when I move it around the house on the wi-fi. I'm wondering if anyone who has faced a similar scenario can tell me whether they decided on a 17 or a 15 and whether they feel that they made the right decision. The computer will not really be travelled with, just worked with on a bed, probably on my lap on a chair, and a table. I'm also a big guy (6', 185) so I don't really think that the size of it on my lap would be such a concern. This computer would definitely be the primary computer that I would use. One thing that makes me like the 17" model is the 128 meg graphics card (yes I know that you can do this on a 15" too) and the larger screen. I like to play games, and I already have bought some mac games such as Halo. I also use photoshop on windows and have purchased that for mac so I can use that too. One concern though, is that I have no space to put a desktop in my room, so I feel that an iMac would not be the right decision.

Could anyone recommend the 15" powerbook over the 17, or vice versa. Also, is the perfermance between the 17 and the 15 (1.67, superdrive, 128 meg graphics) incredibly different, for gaming and photo editing.

Thanks
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-06-26, 16:44

You are in an unusual position needing only portability within the home. Assuming you're sure this won't change, the 17" looks preferable - more screen real estate always better unless it impinges on portability. I'd get the big guy.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-06-26, 17:10

Sounds like none of the actual benefits of a laptop are what you need. Why not just get a 20" iMac? I mean if you're not actually needing to be on-the-go with the computer, why pay the premium?

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
mvalenstein

2005-06-26, 17:16

I'm considering the iMac. I don't need incredible portability, like for traveling with it (I wouldn't fly with it, or use on public transport), but I like the portability of moving it around the house. Moving it from my room down to a different table to work on, or in bed, or using it on the patio or deck. I like that kind of portability that the powerbook gives, but still getting a powerful computer.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-06-26, 17:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvalenstein
Moving it from my room down to a different table to work on, or in bed, or using it on the patio or deck. I like that kind of portability that the powerbook gives, but still getting a powerful computer.
There's a real plus to this sort of domestic portability - it's great to be able to use the Mac in whichever room you want according to mood. I'm typing this on the balcony as we speak - it's good to have the option.
NigrescentNizzut

2005-06-26, 17:50

I am in the same situation, save I need to move my computer around a bit more. I chose the 17" powerbook, because it's still light, even if the dimensions are a bit large. More than enough power, screen, and portability for what you described.
Just my .02$
mvalenstein

2005-06-26, 18:54

That's kind of what I feel, and when it later comes along to buy a computer for college, choose a smaller model like the 15".

Edit: Also, can any one tell me what the battery life on a 15 or 17" powerbook life is? Thanks

Last edited by mvalenstein : 2005-06-26 at 19:09.
NigrescentNizzut

2005-06-26, 20:14

From what i've heard both get around 3 hours give or take depending on the power saving settings. The 15" is less power hungry, but the 17" comes with a higher capacity battery to balance it out. I'd imagine the 12" would get a pretty beastly batttery life, but the 15" and 17" are about average.
mvalenstein

2005-06-26, 20:29

Alright. I believe the aged notebook that I have now gets around 2 and a half, so it shouldn't seem any different. I think that I'll need to visit the apple store once more before I make my final choice, and to see if there may be any upgrades before school starts...
FallenFromTheTree

2005-06-26, 20:52

If you really want portability with extra screen real estate, I'd opt
for either a loaded 12" PowerBook or the 1.67 GHz 15" w/128 VRAM and get a 20"+ external dvi display for those long haul projects.

This gives you the best of both worlds.
mvalenstein

2005-06-26, 21:20

That's a good thought. I'm kind of on a budget though. I don't really need the portability that much. I think that I'll need to visit the apple store, again, to sort things out. Maybe if I just decide on a 15 anyway I could add a display in the future. Something to think about, good thought thanks.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-06-26, 21:38

You're on a budget and you're thinking about getting a 17" powerbook? Those two don't go together.
.Hack
Valiant Vicks Vizier

2005-06-26, 22:16

My advice is to go with an iBook or a Mac Mini. No, it doesn't have to power the PBook or iMac does, but besides gaming, the iBook/Mini would suit your needs perfectly. Why would you spend all of that money, when you aren't even going to utilize the computer to the most of it's abilities, you'd be wasting your money. Do you NEED a 17" laptop? Anywhere you go, a laptop that size is going to cost quite a bit more. Besides, if you're going to buy yourself something for college, buy a cheaper machine now, and go all out before college. Save your money up for a nice system, and buy only what you need for now!
mvalenstein

2005-06-26, 22:23

Torifile: You're on a budget and you're thinking about getting a 17" powerbook? Those two don't go together.

As you can see it's a pretty loose budget...The kind where you don't want to go too overboard...

Well my parents are actually funding 'most' of this system. It's pretty much my choice...

Last edited by mvalenstein : 2005-06-26 at 22:30.
polvoronn

2005-06-26, 22:36

Quote:
I'm also a big guy (6', 185)
"big" is an understatement considering you're just starting high school
.Hack
Valiant Vicks Vizier

2005-06-26, 22:42

Quote:
Torifile: You're on a budget and you're thinking about getting a 17" powerbook? Those two don't go together.

As you can see it's a pretty loose budget...The kind where you don't want to go too overboard...

Well my parents are actually funding 'most' of this system. It's pretty much my choice...
Your parents sure are generous. A Power Book is quite a purchase, whatever the specifications... I'm interested in to how you got your parents to just buy you such a high-end machine at the age of 14/15, and still convince them that you actually need a machine like the powerbook. If your parents are going to buy whatever computer you want, tell them to buy it for you @ the end of your senior year. By that time, you should have a job, and they probably won't feel the need to buy you a nice computer out of the goodness of their hearts. Plan for the future man, you'll be glad you did!
mvalenstein

2005-06-26, 22:45

Yea they sure are generous, and yea I think that I should plan ahead. Just for reference I don't even think my parents know what an iBook is. I'm sort of the Mac person in the family.

I guess if I went powerbook it would probably be a 15" one and then maybe just maybe find some way to get an external monitor if I felt I really needed the extra space.

And to what polvoronn said, muscle weighs more than fat my friend.

Last edited by mvalenstein : 2005-06-26 at 22:47.