Formerly turtle2472

2022-08-15, 08:54

HAHAHA

I really enjoyed that series.

Thanks for the update too!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-12-25, 17:54

I just noticed that 1.19.3 was released a couple weeks ago (2022-12-07). As usual, I'll wait until the more popular mods like Optifine are fully updated before updating the server.

It looks like 1.19.3 doesn't bring too many exciting changes for our multiplayer server except for one: there's a new `/fillbiome` server command! It only works with rectangular areas, like other built-in commands, but it's good to have some kind of built-in support for changing biomes. I haven't updated my custom biome editor program for a while, and I'm pretty sure it would be broken today because Minecraft changed the way it stores biomes with the 1.18 release to support partial-height biomes like dripstone caves and lush caves.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-12-25, 18:00

Huh. It looks like I'll need to update my texture pack as well. That's surprising for a minor patch update.

edit: Bed textures are broken in 1.19.3 with my pack?? I wonder what other breaking changes snuck in.

edit2: Some UI elements too, like the buttons in the creative mode inventory UI. Weird!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-01-05, 13:16

Unfortunately, I've been so busy at work I haven't had time to hop on the MC Server in absolute ages! Not sure I even remember my way around.

Anyway, Jess and I have a home server and try to play at least once per week. This past weekend we updated to 1.20 so we could go in search of the Deep Dark (yes, that's 1.19, but we decided to go all in).

Holy crap, that place is crazy! Absolutely the most challenging and fun biome in the game so far. Right now, we're clearing an Ancient City, and those stupid Wardens are an absolute PITA!

We've landed on a well-tested method for eliminating them and have gotten very good at it, but the repetitive "trigger" - "run like hell while blind" - "Grief, is this jerk ever gonna die?" attack. It's just maddening — but brilliant good fun.

I think a reasonable player with all the armor and a very good bow could take them on alone, but we're playing in survival in a a "new world" and have almost nothing decent to fight with, so it's a lot of naked adventuring (you get your pockets involuntarily emptied otherwise) while we hunt Skulk Shriekers and slowly clear the room whilst leading Wardens back to traps that we build in the walls in advance. We've learned to "wall off" paths because Wardens cannot jump over a two-block wall, and lead them into a three-high single wide tunnel into a back area with a gate we can close to trap them in and then Jess sets up with a crappy bow from down an adjoining hall while I whack at the guy with a sword. It takes a lot of attacking, but then they die and it's wash, rinse, repeat.

Don't know how many of you guys have tried tackling that biome in bare-naked survival mode, but holy whompers!

And we have biomes set to large, so the damned place is massive!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2024-01-05, 13:45

That does sound like a blast to do. I haven't played since I took down the server. Time is a thing I guess.

I need to make some for this. One of my daughters wants to play in Bedrock but she is behind in studies so we have to wait until she is caught up before we can start that up again.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2024-01-05, 13:59

I’ve been running a bedrock server for a couple of months. Fun to try and let a console play on it
drewprops
Space Pirate

2024-01-05, 18:49

In the latest (3rd) edition of the Hermitcraft-adjacent "Life" series they kept luring Wardens up to the overworld. It was hilarious to see people realize there was a Warden ambling in their direction 🤣🤣🤣

¡Damned!

2024-01-08, 14:29

The only way I've ever been able to defeat the Warden is to lure it topside and arrow it from afar. Even if I'm fully equipped with armor that Sonic Breath thing it has absolutely wipes me out every time. 'Tis scary in the Deep Dark.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-01-08, 14:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
The only way I've ever been able to defeat the Warden is to lure it topside and arrow it from afar. Even if I'm fully equipped with armor that Sonic Breath thing it has absolutely wipes me out every time. 'Tis scary in the Deep Dark.
It's actually quite easy, but time consuming as all get-out! Jess and I accidentally found the Warden's weakness and have learned to exploit it.

Here it is:

Wardens cannot jump higher than 1 block, they cannot pass beneath anything less than two blocks high, and they can follow you into a 1x3 tunnel, but not a 1x2.

Knowing that, here are instructions to build a Warden trap:

1) Before you start exploring a new area of the Deep Dark, find a wall of stone close by and tunnel in 3 blocks high and 1 block wide, and dig back at least 10 blocks. Make sure the spot you choose is reasonably easy to access in the dark (and in a panic)!

2) Make a right turn and tunnel in 2x2 for about 6-8 blocks.

3) Make a right turn and tunnel in 1x2 for 1 block, and then create a 2-block high room about 5x5

4) Put down your bed and click to set your spawn point. We call this the "Death Bed".

5) put down a chest and unload your pockets, including armor.

6) Make sure you have ample bow/arrows and a sword, but leave them in the chest. This will now be your temporary base.

7) Go back out to the intersection between your 1x3 tunnel and the 2x2 tunnel. Place a gate in the 1x3 tunnel two blocks from the intersecting end where it meats the 2x2 tunnel, so when it's closed there is a 1x3x2 space immediately in front of the 2x2 entrance.

8) Make sure the gate is open.

9) Go warden hunting.

10) Lure the warden into the 1x3 tunnel and turn into the 2x2 tunnel, then turn and close the gate behind the Warden (you may die here, as the warden might get time to swat you). The Warden cannot enter anywhere that is less than three blocks high, just like Enderman, so he cannot pass back beyond the gate once it's closed. You are basically locking the warden into a 1x3x2 space from which it cannot escape.

11) Grab your bow and arrows.

12) Stand at the far end of the 2x2 tunnel and start shooting.

13) The Warden will start discharging on you, but his sonic blasts cannot hurt any of your stuff. You will lose three hearts with each blast if you're naked (and you should be). Also, this bit just occurred to me: An alternative is to make the 2x2 tunnel even longer so that you can shoot at the Warden from beyond sonic range. Just make sure your little base is at the end of the tunnel. This technique will ONLY work if the gate is closed. Otherwise, the Warden will run out of the 1x3 tunnel to try to get closer to you.

14) If/when you die, you will respawn at your bed and your bow and arrows will be right there on the ground. Pick them up and start shooting again.

With this method, Jess and I have killed over 50 Wardens clearing one Ancient City and the surrounding area. The two keys are having the gate to prevent the warden from wondering out of the trap, and to have your respawn point right next to the place you die, so you can grab your weapons and immediately start shooting.

This trap is easy to replicate, and we've found that as we move farther into the Deep Dark we can just make a new trap. You may also find yourself needing to "guide" Wardens as they have a tendency to wander off on another path if they think they can cut you off. So, we close adjacent tunnels with a 2-block high wall and use that method to create "channels" down which the Wardens will chase you and that serve the dual purpose of guiding you when you're partially blind.

Also important, Wardens will stand outside your trap wall and blast you from outside, which is why it needs to be at least 10 blocks deep. This will cause the Warden to follow you down the tunnel.

Also also important, If there is a way the Warden can work around to a closer area, or just wander off, it will do so. This is why we make sure all steps and walls around the trap are at least two blocks high so it cannot jump them, and we also cover any holes in the floor so it doesn't fall in (and so we don't fall in when running in a half-blind panic).

Once we've cleared a large enough area, we build a quick chicken farm (just pits into which we can toss eggs), as well as a wheat farm. You're gonna be down there for a long time, and going back up for food and other resources is incredibly demanding time-wise. So, being self-sufficient down there is really important. The Deep Dark has enough surface iron and diamonds to replace worn tools, but coal can be challenging to find. There's also lots of gravel for flint, and the chickens provide plenty of feathers once they've accumulated to tick-tick-tick annoyance levels. So, if you have enough of the below supplies, you should be self-sufficient in no time.

Initial take-with-you items:

Wood
Iron
Coal
Eggs
Food
Bow
Arrows x lots x more lots!
Chest
Oven
Bed

Best played in outright naked, survival mode.

One other thing: After an unexpected pocket-dislodging, we built a pre-base up top into which we dumped the most important supplies until we found a suitable area for our trap and got it built. Then, we went back up, collected our stuff, and moved it down. We did this because the odds of dying in the Deep Dark are extremely high and we didn't want to lose our stuff in a "never to be found again" fashion. And just getting down there can be death defying, as Jess learned when she fell over a cliff and landed on a spike about a million blocks down into hell. It took a panicked waterfall slide by me to get down there to find her pieces-parts amidst the creepers and skeletons and darkness!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)

Last edited by kscherer : 2024-01-08 at 15:50.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2024-01-08, 16:53

Nice write up! What about some red stone and pistons to "close the path" instead of dealing with a gate?

Flip a switch or pushbutton and the pistons block the path while you're safely away.

Edit: Maybe stocking up an Ender Chest and bringing it down there with you.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2024-01-09, 13:10

Another thought on Warden, can he be suffocated with stone blocks? I know he comes out of blocks... but then again I haven't seen him in the game at all yet.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-01-09, 13:50

The redstone contraption is an interesting idea, but two things:

1) We're playing in bare-naked survival mode and getting/building such things might be … fun?

2) I've tried putting blocks over the Warden's head, but it doesn't work. Even when it's bent over to zap you, the entity still "occupies" a 1x3x2 space.

I think I might try the piston thing, though. But not as a gate. Rather, to close a block on dude's head and see if it kills it.

But the gate seems very cool.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2024-01-09, 18:39

I have watched the folks over on Hermitcraft building traps to summon Wardens up to the overworld using bubblevators and it's hilarious!

kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-01-15, 15:34

So, I created a piston system in creative mode just to test out the idea of suffocating a warden. It took a 2x3 piston array to actually "trap" it, and then it refused to die. So, the piston thing, while a good idea, is a dead end. They are also impervious to lava. You have to kill these turds the old fashioned way.

BUT!

I also made the arrow tunnel twenty deep (instead of 10) and the Warden cannot reach you at that depth, so you can just sit back there and shoot arrows with no consequences.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2024-01-16, 10:46

Nice! You should screen record one of these encounters for us.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-01-16, 11:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Nice! You should screen record one of these encounters for us.
I don't have any screen recording stuff. Never been interested in that.