Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Wireless router wierdness...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Wireless router wierdness...
.Hack
Valiant Vicks Vizier

2005-08-01, 03:36

Tonight I was looking through my dashboard widgets, and I happened to have my Air Traffic Control widget opened. While looking down at my widgets, I glanced up and in red on my AirTraffic Control widget flashed a SECOND wireless signal coming from a router (I could swear that the name of the network was the same as ours before I changed it a few days ago.) This is wierd... it's never happened either. How would my wireless router just randomly give off two different signals?

EDIT: Could this signal I'm picking up be from someone else's router in my neighborhood? The signal is weak, and only shows up when my ibook is in certain areas of my bed...

Last edited by .Hack : 2005-08-01 at 03:41.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-08-01, 03:43

Because there's a slight lag in analysing and displaying the wireless signal and strength, Air Traffic gives the impression of displaying several signals when what it's actually doing is just showing signal strength changing (due to atmospheric conditions or whatever). It's not a problem and it happens in external hotspots too.

Edit (response to your edit ) - it could also be another signal but the name / vendor codes etc would be different so you can tell.

Last edited by Franz Josef : 2005-08-01 at 03:44.
.Hack
Valiant Vicks Vizier

2005-08-01, 03:50

Well after I made the thread I held my iBook up in the air and slowly moved it towards the east. I picked up two different signals and noticed that the network names were different, so basically I think there are other houses who have a 2Wire router like my family does. SBC came to our town maybe a year or two ago. Seems like everybody I know that happens to have SBC DSL has a 2Wire router... We wanted to set up a home network, but didn't want wireless and SBC sends us a router that also allows for wireless access, we of course had no idea until a few weeks ago when my iBook picked up the signal. When we first bought the router we asked if the router we recieved also was a wireless one, everyone we talked to said no... So we believed them. Now, I'm glad that it's also a wireless router. I'm just assuming that everyone else got into the same situation as us! No problems here though, I enjoy wireless!
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-08-01, 04:04

. If you're using wireless best to ensure your signal is encrypted (WPA Personal), that the router is password protected and is set on "stealth". Also change the default name for the router.

Useful details here - http://images.apple.com/airport/pdf/...Extreme_TO.pdf . The first half talks about the base station (not relevant for you), towards the end there's good comment on Airport Extreme management software (Page 21 onwards)
.Hack
Valiant Vicks Vizier

2005-08-01, 12:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz Josef
. If you're using wireless best to ensure your signal is encrypted (WPA Personal), that the router is password protected and is set on "stealth". Also change the default name for the router.

Useful details here - http://images.apple.com/airport/pdf/...Extreme_TO.pdf . The first half talks about the base station (not relevant for you), towards the end there's good comment on Airport Extreme management software (Page 21 onwards)
Thanks! I've done most of that except for the "stealth" setting, which I'm looking into right now!

Last edited by .Hack : 2005-08-01 at 12:37.