AppleNova Forums » Creative Endeavors »

Proofread One Sentence

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Proofread One Sentence
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2009-10-09, 17:14

Quote:
Hargie notes that process questions are typically preferred by intelligent students, who tend to be more eager to respond to a challenging process question than to a mundane recall question.
One person who proofread my paper questioned my switch from the plural at the beginning of the sentence to singular at the end. However, I think it appropriate to switch. At the beginning I am speaking of a general rule; at the end, I am noting a likely response to two questions (i.e., comparing one process question with one recall question).

In terms of style, I like the contrast between plural at the beginning and singular at the end. If I use plural all around, the sentence feels repetitive, even though it isn't ("Process questions are preferred by intelligent students who tend to be more eager to respond to challenging process questions . . .")

While I'm not completely sure, I do believe the sentence is grammatically correct.

Am I wrong?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-10-09, 17:23

The sentence also seems awkward because it uses passive voice and has an unnecessary comma in the middle, but otherwise it appears to be technically correct.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2009-10-09, 17:24

I'm no English major and I couldn't tell with certainty whether the sentence is grammarically correct or not. However, I think it's a case where the structure is too awkward that it's not worth redeeming it.

If it were up to me, I'd have rephrased it so it'd be less awkward.

Maybe:

Quote:
Hargie observed that intelligent students are more eager to respond to challenging process question over a mundane recall question.
Tangentially: I'm not sure if this is a instance of passive voice but that's a good reason why one should avoid passive voice.

Edit: Looks like I was lucky on guessing passive voice; thanks Brad!
¡Damned!

2009-10-09, 17:25

I probably would've used an em dash instead of a comma:

Quote:
Hargie notes that process questions are typically preferred by intelligent students — who tend to be more eager to respond to a challenging process question than to a mundane recall question.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-10-09, 17:25

Actually, I think the sentence is repetitive.

EDIT: Yeah, I would have done something along the lines of what Banana said.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-10-09, 17:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I probably would've used an em dash instead of a comma:
An em dash seems even more wrong than a comma here, though, because em dashes are used for parenthetical statements and to indicate interruption of speech.
¡Damned!

2009-10-09, 17:29

I don't care — I love em dashes.

Though — you're probably right.
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2009-10-09, 17:32

I agree that the sentence was awkward . . . I got fixated on the singular/plural issue and didn't consider the larger issues.

Thanks.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2009-10-09, 18:14

I sent it to my missus - who checks Masters and PhD theses for a living. She said:

Quote:
"Awkward sentence. Delete it and start again."

Banana's sentence is almost correct. It need an "a";

Quote:
Hargie observed that intelligent students are more eager to respond to a challenging process question over a mundane recall question.
or it needs to go plural:

Quote:
Hargie observed that intelligent students are more eager to respond to challenging process questions over mundane recall questions.

I prefer the plural, because "students" is plural in the beginning of the sentence.
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2009-10-09, 18:19

Going back to the singular/plural issues, I prefer "than to" for singular, and "over" for plural. Again, am I wrong? :-P

Quote:
Hargie observed that intelligent students are more eager to respond to a challenging process question than to a mundane recall question.
or

Quote:
Hargie observed that intelligent students are more eager to respond to challenging process questions over mundane recall questions.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2009-10-09, 18:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by screensaver400 View Post
One person who proofread my paper questioned my switch from the plural at the beginning of the sentence to singular at the end. However, I think it appropriate to switch. At the beginning I am speaking of a general rule; at the end, I am noting a likely response to two questions (i.e., comparing one process question with one recall question).
Question for the OP. Did Hargie make the observation (intelligent students prefer process questions) and the hypothesis (because process questions are more challenging)? It is not clear from your statement. One possible re-write:

Quote:
Hargie hypothesized that intelligent students prefer process questions to recall questions, because the former are more challenging for them.