User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Which iPhone did you get...and which one should I go for?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
View Poll Results: Which iPhone did/would you buy?
4GB 2 4.55%
8GB 42 95.45%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Which iPhone did you get...and which one should I go for?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-07-01, 21:31

Curious to see a breakdown here among fellow 'Novans regarding which iPhone - 4GB or 8GB - you bought.

All along I was set on the 4GB, but reading an AppleInsider article about possible forthcoming updates and capabilities (odd...article is now missing), I'm wondering if it's worth the extra $100 to go to 8GB.

Wasn't my original plan, but I can certainly be persuaded.

Since I intend on having this phone for a good three years (like my current cell phone), I'm wondering if I'll reach a point in a year or two where 4GB might seem cramped? Hard to predict that now, I realize (not knowing what kinds of things Apple may be adding, and how large they'll be), but since I'm not going to be spec-whoring and buying each new iPhone bump or generation that comes along, I kinda need to make the one I buy now last "for the long haul". I just don't want to be sitting here this time next year, having to remove songs and photos because Apple has added so many neat functions or updates that suddenly 4GB is seeming a bit squeezed.

So let's see what you bought, and let me hear your advice and input on my personal 4GB vs. 8GB decision.

Knowing that I intend to keep this phone for a solid 2-3 years (at least), do you think it's worth it - and smart - to go ahead and lay out the extra $100 just to give myself plenty of growing and "add on" room in the coming years?

I have to admit that I'm leaning toward "yes" here today for the first time...

If I knew updates would be small in file size, I'd be okay with 4GB. But I know that I'm stuck with whatever I buy, so...

All opinions and input appreciated.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2007-07-01, 21:37

I think that an extra $100 is well worth double the space, especially since on the 8GB model only 7.27GB (based on the Sync video on Apple.com) are actually free. So, in comparison, on the 4GB model only 3.27 would be available to use for whatever. I don't currently have one, but I'm considering purchasing an 8GB and am not considering the 4GB model for the reasons I stated.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-07-01, 21:53

Paul, especially since you're adamant that you want this phone to last you a good long time, I think it would be worth an extra Benjamin to more than double the usable space. In some ways, the 4GB iPhone reminds me of the $499 PS3 - I don't question the intelligence of those who buy it (see: the Xbox 360 "Tard Pack") - but I might question their foresight. I'm pretty sure, two years from now, you're more likely to wish for those extra 4GB than you are to regret spending the extra $100.

That said, it's still a freakin' iPhone. There really doesn't seem to be any "bad" choice. But some might be more forward-thinking than others.

Of course, your decision may be made for you. I'm sure Apple is making far more 8GB iPhones than 4GB iPhones, at least for now (early adopters tend to want the top of the line), but Apple still seems to be selling out of the 8GB models first. So if you want to buy the iPhone ASAP, you might have to take what you can get (and when "what you can get" is an iPhone, I doubt you'll be complaining, in any case).

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-07-01, 22:02

True. I'm not opposed to the 4GB at all (jeez, how I wish the prices were $399 and $499 instead...that "psychological barrier" of $500 - and going beyond it - is just giving me fits).

I know that my 1GB shuffle is holding 266 of my all-time favorite songs, so I know that, give or take, I can always get roughly 250 songs into 1GB of space. If the formatted/OS and app-installed capacity of the 4GB is in the 3.2GB range, that basically leaves me just over two gigabytes for photos, contacts and any additional updates or apps (Apple or third-party) that may come.

If I felt confident that these apps were on the small, lean side, file size-wise (and I suppose they kinda would be, just by their very nature), I wouldn't worry (because I can always pull off songs and photos, and I'm not going to be watching TV shows on this, and certainly not two-hour movies). I just don't want any new apps or updates from Apple to be in the 800MB category, gobbling up space at a fast and furious rate, that's all.

My current iPhoto library is less than 200MB(!) (not having a digital camera allows that), so I'm not really worried about stuff from my end (music, photos, contacts...I can always control that, and pull back if I needed to)...it's strictly "is Apple going to release big-ass updates and apps that will make 4GB seem really puny before long?"

No way to really know that, I guess.
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2007-07-01, 22:13

I got the 4GB only because after trying to find an 8GB version for three days it was all I could get.

I think the extra space that you get for $100 is well worth it though. Get the 8GB.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-07-01, 22:21

Oh - to answer the poll, as much as I wanted to be able to tell my grandkids I bought the iPhone on day one, I'm waiting a few weeks so I can comfortably (guilt-free, as you would put it, Paul ) buy the 8GB model instead of the 4GB.

I don't even have that big of a music collection (although it is at iTunes Plus-equivalent bitrate). It's just that I've never had anything like the iPhone, so I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to use it. I guess I would ask you, Paul - how do you know you're not going to be watching any TV shows or movies on it? I know nobody ever thinks that they'll have time to watching TV when they're out and about, but who really plans to have to wait anywhere? I think the iPhone is a godsend for plane rides and the DMV and such.

Better safe than sorry, in my opinion. But you're a smart cookie, so I'm sure you'll have good reasons for whatever you end up deciding. Again, either way, you're still getting what Lev Gossman apparently considers "the best phone anyone has ever made."

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-07-01, 22:48

That's a good point. Goodness knows what I'll be into a year or so from now (1/3 of the way into my iPhone ownership). Maybe I'm doing a bit of traveling and wouldn't mind a TV show or two loaded up. Maybe it's simply worth $100 not to ever have to worry about it.

Could put a solid 2GB of music on, not worry about photos or them taking up space, etc.

If I get this iPod sold, that puts me well over $600 in my "iPhone fund", so...

Hell, now I'm sitting here thinking "okay, if I get an iPhone - which will be with me at all times - do I even really need my cute little orange shuffle anymore? Two things to plug in, two things to sync, two sets of earbuds, etc. WTF?!"

Maybe I sell it as well? I honestly wonder if I would ever use it again, once I had that many - or more - songs on my iPhone? Gonna need that USB port for the phone anyway...

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-07-01, 23:02

That's totally up to you. Personally, I think the new clippy iPod shuffle compliments the larger iStuffs nicely, especially the iPod proper (because there are most definitely times when you don't want a hard disk drive in your pocket). The iPhone is flash-based, so that's not as much of a concern, but still...it feels more fragile, I guess. Idunno. Maybe I'm just looking for excuses for owning the cutest music player ever.

Since you already have the shuffle, I would keep it, at least for a little while. If you find that you don't use it any more, then you could sell it or whatever. I don't think it'll drop in price until the holidays, so its not like you'll lose money by waiting to be sure.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-07-01, 23:13

I haven't purchased my iPhone yet but I plan on the 8GB model because I know I'm going to want to put some videos on there. Those take up some serious space. A 4GB model would be cramped form day one for me, though I'd happily take it if it was all that was available.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-07-01, 23:25

Just a note: I'm altering the poll slightly, adding the word "would", so us non-iPhone owners can join in with our suggestions.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2007-07-02, 00:17

I'd definitely go 8GB. Especially if they open it up to be used as a generic storage device.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-07-02, 04:44

8gb. Technically, it's more than double the capacity. Since the OS is a fixed size - and a considerably bigger proportion of the 4gb's capacity - you're getting about 7 gigs of space vs. only 3 gigs.

Put some podcasts on there and a video and before you know it you're banging your head against a wall because you just can't fit that last song on there.
Perfecting_Zero

2007-07-02, 08:17

I plan to buy the 8GB iPhone about the time that the 2nd generation rolls around. (of course, by the time of the 2nd gen, there might be other than 4GB and 8GB models from which to choose.) My main motive for waiting, though: I have no (reliable) income right now, and I can't justify the price of the iPhone when I already have a working cell phone. Actually, I'm out of contract with Verizon and I think that I'll cancel that account and phone number... and then just pick up a pay-as-you-go phone for the interim.

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin
beardedmacuser

2007-07-02, 08:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Knowing that I intend to keep this phone for a solid 2-3 years (at least), do you think it's worth it - and smart - to go ahead and lay out the extra $100 just to give myself plenty of growing and "add on" room in the coming years?
Yes.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2007-07-02, 14:12

I'd go for 8GB if you're that terribly unsure. On the other hand, you're right that apps aren't likely to be very large and that you can always take off music. With such a small photo library and not really wanting to watch movies on it, I'd say the 4GB would be fine.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-07-02, 14:32

I've bounced back between the two choices all day long.

I was just really wanting to stay below that $500 mark. Bugs me, paying $600 when I'd never planned to. Then again, I should think about the future. I don't want to be sitting here, two years from now, in July 2009 with 200MB left either, trying to figure out which songs or photos I want to dump.

As Roboman said earlier (and he's got a very good point): "I'm pretty sure, two years from now, you're more likely to wish for those extra 4GB than you are to regret spending the extra $100."

Well put.

Comments/scenarios from torifile and MCQ also make some good points.

If this were a $299 item and I was looking to replace it every two years, the 4GB would be a no-brainer.

But it's, for me, a three-plus year commitment and who knows what sorts of things will come down the lane in that time, in terms of apps, updates, my music/photo/video library growing, etc.

As it stands right now, I'd choose the 8GB if I had them both in front of me, ready to purchase. But since there's not one in the entire city of Chattanooga...

Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-07-02, 15:21

"Mayor, there's a subpoena from a schtimp named Paul Scates threatening to sue us for failure to install a Apple store in our city..."
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-07-02, 15:28

I'd settle for one of our two Best Buy stores (even the one on the other side of town, 16 or so miles away from me), carrying Macs (like the one I recently visited in Woodbridge, VA...a nice little display with iMacs, MacBooks and MacBook Pros, Apple software and accessories, etc.).

I know Chattanooga will never get an Apple Store, but we do have Best Buy and Circuit City. Seems like they could make something happen with them.
faust

2007-07-02, 16:41

I thought the 4GB unit was pointless.

The gf and I both picked up 8GB.
sirnick4
I was knighted

Send a message via AIM to sirnick4  
2007-07-02, 17:08

I have some money now (yay for birthday money) and I'm debating on whether to use it on the iPhone or pay off some debt

Either way, the 8GB phone is what I'm looking at because I would go through the smaller capacity too quickly.

Deal with it.
rasmits
rams it

2007-07-02, 17:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
In some ways, the 4GB iPhone reminds me of the $499 PS3 - I don't question the intelligence of those who buy it (see: the Xbox 360 "Tard Pack") - but I might question their foresight. I'm pretty sure, two years from now, you're more likely to wish for those extra 4GB than you are to regret spending the extra $100.

Except - the PS3 HDD is easily upgradable.

[/$499 PS3 buyer]
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-07-02, 21:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmits View Post

Except - the PS3 HDD is easily upgradable.

[/$499 PS3 buyer]
Actually, when I was writing that I forgot that Sony did decide to put the HDMI port in the $499 PS3 at the last minute. So, to correct myself, I wouldn't call the decision short-sighted, per se - but personally, I still think it's worth the extra $100 to know that A) I'll never have to worry about upgrading the hard drive, B) I'll be covered whenever I get a wireless network (assuming I'm not on one already) and C) I'll be able to use the memory card slots for whatever cool stuff Sony has cooking up for PSP download play or Home.

But that's just my opinion. You're welcome to your own

macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2007-07-02, 22:09

How long do you all think it will take Apple to upgrade the iPhone? More specifically how long do you think it will be before they increase the storage capacity? I know this is more of a question for speculation but I am just wondering what you all think. I really want the iPhone but the fact that it is only 8GB and that it is AT&T only are making me wait.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-07-02, 22:18

Well I think the capacity bump will happen way before it stops being an "AT&T-only" deal. That's a multi-year deal of some sort between Apple and AT&T.

A capacity bump may come as soon as MWSF in January? Who knows. But even if they bump it to 8GB and 16GB on the next rev, it's still going to be an AT&T-only thing for a good while...no getting around that. Probably going to be that way through 2009.

joveblue
Veteran Member

2007-07-02, 22:21

You'll have to wait a few years to get it not on AT&T but I'd say that there's a good chance of a 16GB iPhone before Christmas, and even as early as the usual iPod upgrade time of September, or coinciding with the EU release sometime in Q4. Otherwise no later than February...
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2007-07-02, 22:23

Yeah the AT&T thing I can work with but 8GB is just too small IMHO for what I would want stored on it. Do you all really think that the deal with AT&T and Apple will last for the full 5 years of the contract? I would think that Apple would want to branch out to the other service providers.