User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

new powerbook and its ethernet port

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
new powerbook and its ethernet port
boxofjack

2005-03-01, 01:31

I got my brand new 15" pb about 8 days ago and I've been fantastically happy with the scrolling trackpad and only a little worried about the rocking (the bottom of the pb is flat but there's no 'give' in the feet so it will rock on anything but the most perfect of surfaces).

My big problem is the ethernet port on it. Up until yesterday night, it was fine. Now when I plug in a cat5 cable, it no longer "clicks".

This means that network cable is no longer secure in its port and it slips out with the slightest bump.

Tomorrow I'm going to be taking it back to the store but I was just wondering if anyone else has come into this problem and if there's any easy fix that doesn't involve losing my pb for a few days.

PS. I'm a new Mac user. What do I need to bring to the store besides the pb itself? A protective laptop bag? Proof of purchase? The two Apple stickers that came in the box?
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2005-03-01, 01:35

I've had that happen before, but it was always the cable's problem. Have you tried a different cable?
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-03-01, 01:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebby
Have you tried a different cable?
First rule of effective troubleshooting!
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-03-01, 01:58

to save yourself time and money, just plug the other end of the cable into the powerbook. see if it still clicks.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-03-01, 02:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxofjack
PS. I'm a new Mac user. What do I need to bring to the store besides the pb itself? A protective laptop bag? Proof of purchase? The two Apple stickers that came in the box?
Bring the proof of purchase if you have it handy. Otherwise, the Genius Bar will have a laser scanner that will scan your serial number to verify that it's covered by warranty, no matter where you bought it.
boxofjack

2005-03-01, 03:28

Yeah trust me, my house is swimming with cat5 cables and I've tried at least 5 different ends all with the same result.

It is sort of weird how this happens since I've never had a ethernet port break like this.
boxofjack

2005-03-01, 04:24

Alright I managed to fix it on my own. Turns out there are two metal prongs at the bottom of the port to keep the plug in place and I had managed to bend one of them upwards (thus stopping the cable from going all the way in).

I've bent it back to its original position (of course I unplugged and removed the battery before poking around) and everything is fine (for the time being).