Leopard preview
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-10-10, 11:00

Hmm...

Not sure about those...

The second one doesn't seem very Apple.. The interface is quite confusing..

But then perhaps it's early days yet...

And does this perhaps mean they are going to use the hidden feature where you could have lot's of user screens open at the same time?

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt

staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2005-10-10, 11:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt
The second one doesn't seem very Apple.. The interface is quite confusing..
By the looks of it, ,and assuming it's genuine, that seems to be a Virtual Desktop thing… which is a logical extension of Exposé in some ways. I'm not sure there are many intuitive ways to implement it. Unless it's got something to do with configuring multiple monitors, which would be silly.

Quote:
And does this perhaps mean they are going to use the hidden feature where you could have lot's of user screens open at the same time?
Which hidden feature is that?

MarioGT

2005-10-10, 11:11

For me this is a bad fake, and too boring ( photoshop noob ??) .. i have seen much better mockups

staph
Microbial member

2005-10-10, 11:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioGT
For me this is a bad fake, and too boring ( photoshop noob ??) .. i have seen much better mockups
It's not that I disagree, and there are some interesting weirdnesses about the shots (like that the person taking them appears to be German(?)), but would you care to substantiate your analysis of the shots? What in particular is unconvincing?

kuliand

2005-10-10, 11:29

ye doesn't look anything special so i would say it's just a fake. if i remember we are not going to hear anything about this until january?

SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2005-10-10, 11:31

Rubbish.

So many reasons, can't even be bothered...

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-10-10, 11:35

I do like how the corners of Safari and Finder windows are a bit sharper/less rounded. As on the new iTunes. I could see that becoming standard.

So we've got three people here saying "fake"...but not offering any specifics.

One can't be bothered, one sees "nothing special" and one says it's "too boring".

That seals it for me then!

staph
Microbial member

2005-10-10, 11:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
I do like how the corners of Safari and Finder windows are a bit sharper/less rounded. As on the new iTunes. I could see that becoming standard.
The use of Brushed Metal 2.0 would also be welcome as a halfway house back to Aqua, if this actually comes to pass. Although a big switch in the Finder preferences for Spatial Finder would be better.

staph
Microbial member

2005-10-10, 11:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuliand
ye doesn't look anything special so i would say it's just a fake. if i remember we are not going to hear anything about this until january?
It's been six months since 10.4 went stable (in a release sense). What makes you think Apple haven't forked 10.5 development yet?

jeannot

2005-10-10, 11:47

Quote:
For the same reason I would say it could be real. Compare tiger and panther screenshots showing iTunes and safari : nothing special.
However I don't think it's real because it's too soon.

T'hain Esh Kelch

2005-10-10, 12:00

Quote:
Im pretty sure that Apple keeps more than one development team, and probably has major builds overlapping each other.

scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-10-10, 12:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by staph
Which hidden feature is that?
You used to be able to do some jiggery pokey with expose - way before Dashboard - that would get you mini versions of your entire screen in the bottom left corner of the monitor instead of the Expose window tiling effect.

Can anyone remember where it came from or post a link? I can;t even remember how it was done. I don't know if it's still in the OS now.. But it was rumoured that we were going to see a new way of switching users with many expose style screens filling your monitor.. One for each user, and you would click on that and zoom in...

That was how I understood it.. And I enabled the hack on another Mac some time ago and did get the little version of my Desktop floating on my monitor..

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt

kscherer
Which way is up?

2005-10-10, 12:15

I really like the iTunes look of all the windows. I really hope Apple adopts that look in the next release. It seems that iTunes leads the way in interface changes. My guess is that will continue well into the future.

As for it being a fake, yeah, I think it is. I fully understand that some images might be creeping out, but I doubt it. We are still a year away from the release and my guess is that Apple is still working on the look and feel of the gui with nothing cemented in, yet. The dark shot (expose) is a bit too dark (where's the background) unless Apple was using a black desktop background.

The biggest killer for me, though, is the look of the Pages application on the right. Unless this shot also shows Pages 2.0, that is all wrong.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

staph
Microbial member

2005-10-10, 12:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer
The biggest killer for me, though, is the look of the Pages application on the right. Unless this shot also shows Pages 2.0, that is all wrong.
It purports to show TextEdit reading Pages documents.

DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-10-10, 12:51

Pictures appear to be down now. However, from the looks of things I didn't miss much. I smell some spam.

seashellz2

2005-10-10, 12:54

I hope APPLE, in 10.5 will change the awfull looking aqua generic folder icons. Something full face-on, and maybe a bit 'sharper' looking.

chucker
‽

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-10-10, 12:58

Quote:
It's been six months since 10.4 went stable (in a release sense). What makes you think Apple haven't forked 10.5 development yet?
Development of the next release, in fact, usually starts way before the current release even gets finished up.

These screenshots unfortunately don't show any signs of resolution-independence. I sure hope they didn't scrap that.

Koodari
Veteran Member

2005-10-10, 12:58

For some reason all these pics that come out are badly artifacted jpegs. If I ever came upon experimental Apple software, at least I'd post the uncompressed screenshots so people could at least know it took me more than five minutes to Photoshop. I find it hard to believe the second picture of those two would have taken much longer than that.

Path in column view is the first thing to grab my attention. I'd like that sooner than Leopard though. And a proper Trash in the sidebar (no, there isn't one in the screenshot). Even Mail has one, why can't Finder? Dragging the folder in the sidebar now only results in a regular folder icon and no empty function from context menu.

Pages in TextEdit is a nice touch of realism, I believe that will happen, quite possibly in a Tiger update.

chucker
‽

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-10-10, 13:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer
Check the Dock Pages isn't running, TextEdit is. What we have here is TextEdit rendering a Pages document.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-10-10, 13:12

In other weiridities of the images:

1. Note the title of the Safari window, particularly how part of it is italicized. How can (or should) a browser arbitrarily guess/decide what part of a web page's title was part of a search query as in this case?
2. Note how Safari's window title, TextEdit's window title, and Finder's widow title are not in the current standard Lucida Grande. The same goes for the bookmarks bar in Safari. Yet, Lucida Grande appears normally everywhere else.
3. The square corners and high-contrast gradient in the new iTunes are hideous.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

staph
Microbial member

2005-10-10, 13:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
3. The square corners and high-contrast gradient in the new iTunes are hideous.
Well, at least something's authentic.

It's still not as hideous as brushed metal.

staph
Microbial member

2005-10-10, 13:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026
Pictures appear to be down now. However, from the looks of things I didn't miss much. I smell some spam.
They're still up. You just need to click on the linky-poo near the top of the page. Lame but true.

¡Damned!

2005-10-10, 13:32

4. The images and text are not centered in the 'About This Mac' window.

chucker
‽

2005-10-10, 13:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
In other weiridities of the images:

1. Note the title of the Safari window, particularly how part of it is italicized. How can (or should) a browser arbitrarily guess/decide what part of a web page's title was part of a search query as in this case?
2. Note how Safari's window title, TextEdit's window title, and Finder's widow title are not in the current standard Lucida Grande. The same goes for the bookmarks bar in Safari. Yet, Lucida Grande appears normally everywhere else.
You might (provided the screenshots are real) be answering your own question: Lucida Grande doesn't exist as bold, an issue that, for instance, John Gruber recently brought up in this GUIdebook interview:
Quote:
[If I were chief UI designer at Apple,] I’d commission an italic version of Lucida Grande, and start using it in certain spots in the UI.
It is possible that, for Leopard, Apple has decided that the main system font should have proper italics support.

As for Safari recognizing what to italicize, granted, that's difficult, but then again Safari has had at least one rather complex mechanism already that other browsers lack: that of figuring out which words in a tab title are most relevant and distinct from others (as an example, when you have multiple AppleNova Forums tabs open like I currently do, parts of "AppleNova Forums" get cut off the tab title). Is it so much of a stretch to believe that they try and push this further?

staph
Microbial member

2005-10-10, 13:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709
4. The images and text are not centered in the 'About This Mac' window.
Actually, yes they are, part of the window is off the screen.

To demonstrate, here is the window from the screenshot with the current About this Mac on top:

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-10-10, 13:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
Is it so much of a stretch to believe that they try and push this further?
Especially since they know from the URL that a) it's google, b) what the search terms were. Easy as pie.

¡Damned!

2005-10-10, 13:56

Quote:
D'oh! I should've noticed that there was only one top-left button instead of three. My bad.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2005-10-10, 15:27

Quote:
Actually, the "Build 9A39" is offset to the right, not centered. Look again. Can you spell f-a-k-e? This is what happens when you center using your eyeballs, rather than grid lines.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

JLL

2005-10-10, 16:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
It is possible that, for Leopard, Apple has decided that the main system font should have proper italics support.
But then all the places where the standard system font is used should use the same font.

Take a look at the Finder sidebar - it's not the same font as the Finder itself.

- No matter where you go, there you are.