User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

[SUGGESTION BOX] ACD 20" or 23" ?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
[SUGGESTION BOX] ACD 20" or 23" ?
Mr Ten

2005-11-11, 04:00

Not sure which to get, reading too many threads makes you not want to purchase a thing, too many negative reviews / defect reports.!

I'm thinking of picking up a dual-core 2ghz this weekend, upgrading ram on my own (2gb), i don't do video editing, more web than print design, usually pantone-calibrated anyways, PSD, AI, INDD, etc., sometimes large-scale items.

Which is the better monitor?

Thanks.
namachtag
Awaiting Email Confirmation

2005-11-11, 04:28

the 20 is better, the 23's did have some issues.
The dell 20" wide uses the same LG panel that is in the ACD 20".

Go with 2 20"s over one 23" if you are on the computer over 9 hrs a day.
Powerdoc
Cat's Dreamlands

2005-11-11, 04:37

It seems that the issues encountered with the 23 are now fixed. The 23 incher has a better luminosity than the 20 : 230 Cd/meter
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-11-11, 05:28

... this might find more traffic in Purchasing Advice (sorry I can't contribute to the relative merits of either monitor)
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-11-11, 07:45

Quote:
Purchasing Advice
Ding!

Moving...
Mr Ten

2005-11-11, 16:16

thanks for the move!

i spend LOTS of hours behind the computer a day... so how 'bout it...

20" or 23"?

i plan on using just one display for a while, eventually 2, but would prefer whichever is more accurate and reliable

thanks.
Powerdoc
Cat's Dreamlands

2005-11-11, 16:47

I ordered a 23 incher my self. I checked the Macbidouilles forum on this subject. People seems to be very happy with the 23 incher.
From what I have read, quality wise (I do not speak of pixels here) in increasing order : 20, 23 and 30.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-11-11, 16:50

20" Dell, and go to SlickDeals.net or something to find coupon codes for it. You should be able to get it for $400 or less. Plus, the Dell uses the same quality panel as the Apple and it has loads of inputs all over it. You're not restricted to using DVI, you can use it on a VGA port, or connected directly to a DVD player or game system through the composite video connectors.
x86

2005-11-11, 17:46

The Dells seem to be the top rated montitors right now, and they're cheap! The only downside is they are ass ugly.
Mr Ten

2005-11-11, 20:42

darnit... i'm almost biased enough to stick with the apple brand, and yes, the dells are damn ugly...

in comparing just the apple models, 20 and 23, what do you say? i'm thinking 20, eventually have 2 side by side, as the extra 400 is maybe not worth it
Koodari
Veteran Member

2005-11-12, 01:31

Under no circumstances go with the Apple 23". The 20" is a good display, as are the competitors' 23" and 24" displays.
phd

2005-11-13, 00:33

I just bought a 23 and I can assure you I would never trade it for a stinky Dell.

I love my new monitor so much I will soon purchase a 30 inch to sit next to it and my new Quad.

Dell is total junk.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-11-13, 01:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by phd
I just bought a 23 and I can assure you I would never trade it for a stinky Dell.

I love my new monitor so much I will soon purchase a 30 inch to sit next to it and my new Quad.

Dell is total junk.
Dude, Apple and Dell use the same LCD panels. The quality of the displays are more or less equal. Apple's displays look nicer, but the quality of the actual LCD is identical.

Come waste your time with me
Koodari
Veteran Member

2005-11-13, 08:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026
Dude, Apple and Dell use the same LCD panels. The quality of the displays are more or less equal. Apple's displays look nicer, but the quality of the actual LCD is identical.
The 20-inchers have the same panels.

The Apple 23", on the other hand, has an older, smaller panel with worse specifications, only a third of the warranty, only a quarter of the ergonomic adjustment, and only one fifth of the inputs on the Dell 24".

I'd love to hear phd state how exactly the Dell is supposed to lose this comparison.
phd

2005-11-13, 13:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koodari
The 20-inchers have the same panels.

The Apple 23", on the other hand, has an older, smaller panel with worse specifications, only a third of the warranty, only a quarter of the ergonomic adjustment, and only one fifth of the inputs on the Dell 24".

I'd love to hear phd state how exactly the Dell is supposed to lose this comparison.
Not to sure where you get the worse specs from?
Curious to know what you are sporting

Some calculations it turns out the dot pitch is about 0.275mm. A bit larger than the 23" Cinema Displays.

As far as I can tell the Dell and the Cinema display are sporting the same resolution. Two usb ports on the cinema four on the dell, I don't see the dells two firewire ports...
Hmm... my screen looks pretty shiny and new to me.
I have no problems adjusting my screen for proper viewing? if I did need to view it standing on my head I can pick up the aftermarket arm. As well if needed, I can wall mount it.
Personaly looks are an important factor. I would have a problem staring at that cheap black plastic and Dell symbol everyday.

Face it Dell sucks http://www.ihatedell.net/pisser.gif

You can put lipstick on a PIG, but....

The build quality of my screen is awsome. Not plastic junk.
And as for warranty I have Apple care three years of World-class support. No worries here.

Last edited by phd : 2005-11-13 at 15:29.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-11-13, 14:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by phd
Personaly looks are an important factor. I would have a problem staring at that cheap black plastic and Dell symbol everyday.
Sadly, that appears to be the only valid reason to buy the 20"/23" ACDs.

Where's the VGA, S-video and component inputs on the ACD? What about rotation to portrait mode?

I'd buy two 24" Dell widescreens before I'd buy a 23" ACD, but that's just me. Different needs for different people, that's all.
¡Damned!

2005-11-13, 15:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCQ
I'd buy two 24" Dell widescreens before I'd buy a 23" ACD, but that's just me. Different needs for different people, that's all.
That's exactly what I did. The Dell's stock stand is particularly ugly, but I mounted the two screens to an Ergotron DS100, and I have to say the whole setup looks pretty damn good.

So it goes.
namachtag
Awaiting Email Confirmation

2005-11-14, 02:11

I my self ordered 2 24" dells a few weeks ago, they were $780 a piece... the 2 together were about the same as is i was to buy one ACD 23". At first it was over powering... i thought my 2 21" CRT's were big.... I made the right choice.. Now I need a new machine to push them!
Koodari
Veteran Member

2005-11-14, 03:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by phd
Not to sure where you get the worse specs from?
They say 400:1 contrast for the Apple, 1000:1 for the Dell. Measurements at review sites show around 470:1 and 900:1 in practice. Dell has darker blacks and stays true farther down on the color spectrum. It is also somewhat faster. Also outside specs, no large scale problem has appeared with the 2405fpw's yet while the Apple 23" is plagued by the hue fault.
Quote:
Hmm... my screen looks pretty shiny and new to me.
I have no problems adjusting my screen for proper viewing? if I did need to view it standing on my head I can pick up the aftermarket arm. As well if needed, I can wall mount it.
So first you pay more for a worse screen, then you can pay more still for features you'd get standard on the Dell. Sounds great.
Quote:
Buying for looks is fine, but it looks like you're in denial mode about the rest of the screen.
Quote:
The build quality of my screen is awsome. Not plastic junk.
And as for warranty I have Apple care three years of World-class support. No worries here.
... only you fail to mention you paid extra for it and it would have been standard on any other manufacturer's display.
uypeterson

2005-11-14, 04:33

Everyone is talking about Apple vs. Dell, but what about the HP L2335 23" display? Although the HP does not have an aluminum frame, it is silver and it looks a lot better than the Dell, has the same video input choices of the Dell (no media card reader, though ), rotates like the Dell, and can be had for a price similar to the Dell. The performance of HP's other LCD business displays is great -- the 23" should perform just as well.

As for the 20" vs 23" I say get the 23" if you can afford it. The higher resolution and extra screen space will always be helpful.

If the 23" pushes your budget, a 4:3 fullscreen 20" or 21" display with 1600x1200 resolution may be a better deal than a 16:9 widescreen 20" with 1680x1050.

Consider this:

20" 4:3 -- 1600x1200 landscape, 1200x1600 portrait

20" 16:10 -- 1680x1050 landscape, 1050x1680 portrait

23" 16:10 -- 1920x1200 landscape, 1200x1920 portrait

All of the 23"/24" displays I've seen have a resolution of 1920x1200. The key number is 1200, your horizontal resolution. You'll be able to read documents and webpages a whole lot better with minimal scrolling on a display sporting 1200 horizontal lines vs. 1050 lines. The 23" is a better deal if you need/want exceptional width with those 1200 horizontal lines. And, if you decide to rotate the fullscreen 20" display or widescren 23", you will have a decent 1200 vertical lines of width. A 20" widescreen display will shortchange you, unless you MUST have a small wide screen.

(Personally, I'm popping for the 30")

Last edited by uypeterson : 2005-11-15 at 03:17.
Koodari
Veteran Member

2005-11-14, 05:23

uypeterson: The L2335 is cool. It's got the same panel than the Apple 23" but no color problem. I don't think it's quite the same price than 2405fpw, but has the same features. Before 2405fpw came out, I was set to buy either L2335, 2001fp or 2005fpw.
The 20" widescreen is 16:10 like the HD screens - not 16:9.

For the budget conscious, depending on the job, dual 20":s (whether widescreen or not) are definitely worthy of consideration instead of one 23" or 24". At US prices they cost more or less the same, and if you pivot one, you have one screen 1600/1680px high for text content, and one screen 1600/1680px wide for graphics content. Where the single 23" or 24" widescreen is better is entertainment use, not only because you as much room for a movie or game as possible, but because Dell and HP have component inputs which will get you progressive/high definition picture from consoles, DVD players, HDTV tuners.
Powerdoc
Cat's Dreamlands

2005-11-14, 15:01

I did not heard any more of problems with the 23 incher. Lately the people who get an hand on this screen are very happy with it.
Mr Ten

2005-11-14, 18:39

ok, i was really thinking the 20" but if the new 23" ACD is all good, then i would invest in that.

either way, down the road, i will have two monitors the same. i'd like to have two of the 23" model, since it'd be classified as HD and they'd be a little larger.

SO... in recent times, with the pink hues, edge ghosting, and blue vertical center band, are these issues gone or no?

i know the arguments for the other brands, but i've made up my stubborn mind to stick with apple, the problem is picking either 20 or 23...

please advise, as i'm about to get on the phone!!!
uypeterson

2005-11-15, 02:40

Well Mr Ten, since you are committed to an Apple display, and you're seriously torn between the 20" Cinema Display and the 23" Cinema HD Display, I recommend you bite the bullet and get the 23". Why? Because the 23" is the one you REALLY WANT.

Trying to analyze and rationalize all the reasons why you shouldn't purchase the 23" is pointless because, in the end, you will be unhappy with the 20". You have written that you are stubbornly in favor of purchasing an Apple-branded display, no matter how wonderful we advise in favor of other brands. Even though you can get a 23" HP or 24" Dell with better performance and greater input flexibility for the cost of a 20" Apple, you won't consider those options -- it's a sacrifice against Apple design you don't want to make. And that's perfectly fine because it's your money and you have to look at that monitor everyday. I think all of us agree that Apple has the best looking monitors on the market.

End your suffering. Live a happier life with your computer! Get the 23" display.
Mr Ten

2005-11-15, 02:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by uypeterson
Well Mr Ten, since you are committed to an Apple display, and you're seriously torn between the 20" Cinema Display and the 23" Cinema HD Display, I recommend you bite the bullet and get the 23". Why? Because the 23" is the one you REALLY WANT.

Trying to analyze and rationalize all the reasons why you shouldn't purchase the 23" is pointless because, in the end, you will be unhappy with the 20". You have written that you are stubbornly in favor of purchasing an Apple-branded display, no matter how wonderful we advise in favor of other brands. Even though you can get a 23" HP or 24" Dell with better performance and greater input flexibility for the cost of a 20" Apple, you won't consider those options -- it's a sacrifice against Apple design you don't want to make. And that's perfectly fine because it's your money and you have to look at that monitor everyday. I think all of us agree that Apple has the best looking monitors on the market.

End your suffering. Live a happier life with your computer! Get the 23" display.
haha, what a freaking punk!

well, i'll be buying the apple-care protection, so maybe if it goes bad, i can swap it out and then sell it "as new" and trade up for another brand once the design factor wears off.

i'm planning on going into the apple stores tomorrow, opening the photoshop app, and testing the screen with solid color backgrounds, just to see what all the fuss is about.

i think anyone would love to have the apple design over the other ones, but if they truly suck, then i'm over it.

thanks for the comic relief in a realm of serious purchase tones.

uypeterson

2005-11-15, 03:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koodari
The 20" widescreen is 16:10 like the HD screens - not 16:9.
The correction is noted. I knew the 20" is 16:10, but I wrote 16:9 by mistake. Thank you.

Last edited by uypeterson : 2005-11-15 at 03:23.
uypeterson

2005-11-15, 03:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ten
haha, what a freaking punk!
I did not mean to offend you. I sincerely apologize for that.

I completely understand what you are going through because I was torn between the 23" and the 30" myself. The process then becomes more complicated than it needs to be.

With all the REAL problems in the world, getting a monitor should be a matter of getting what you want.
uypeterson

2005-11-15, 03:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ten
i'm planning on going into the apple stores tomorrow, opening the photoshop app, and testing the screen with solid color backgrounds, just to see what all the fuss is about.
Stay away from the 30" display. You'll fall in love....
Mr Ten

2005-11-15, 03:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by uypeterson
I did not mean to offend you. I sincerely apologize for that.

I completely understand what you are going through because I was torn between the 23" and the 30" myself. The process then becomes more complicated than it needs to be.

With all the REAL problems in the world, getting a monitor should be a matter of getting what you want.
oh dude, you didn't even remotely offend, i'm a musician and have visited far more intense forums than you could even imagine.

i've already been to the stores a couple times, the impression is that the 20" is a small/stable item, but the 23" has the real estate and HD level to come off as more long-lasting. i considered the 30" but i'm only getting the dual core w/256mb video and i really don't need that large a monitor.

i will test the colors of the store monitors and see what happens, i may sucker myself into the 20 if the 23 has serious issues. i'll make sure i'm covered for exchanges with the apple care warranty before doing anything. i'll eventually end up with two monitors, one for now.

thanks for all the help, i'm just one of those brand suckers sometimes. let's see what happens!