User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

I'm about to purchase an iMac

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
I'm about to purchase an iMac
McDung

2005-12-24, 15:34

I'm contemplating about purchasing a 2.1 Ghz iMac. Would the education discount also apply in Apple Stores? Would I be better off and save money purchasing a 1 Gig RAM stick from a 3rd party or is it better just buy that 1 Gig($180) upgrade when purchasing? Total of 1.5 Gig.
Also, about the software applications, if I didn't purchase iWork and Final Cut pre-installed, would I still get those softwares or will I have to buy those separately if I don't purchase them pre-installed?
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-12-24, 15:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDung
I'm contemplating about purchasing a 2.1 Ghz iMac. Would the education discount also apply in Apple Stores?
Yes. Make sure you have your drivers license or other photo ID as well as your student ID, official class schedule, or other proof of student-hood.
Quote:
Would I be better off and save money purchasing a 1 Gig RAM stick from a 3rd party or is it better just buy that 1 Gig($180) upgrade when purchasing? Total of 1.5 Gig.
3rd party - do a search for purchasing RAM or just look around Purchasing Advice, there are several threads. OWC is my personal favorite.
Quote:
Also, about the software applications, if I didn't purchase iWork and Final Cut pre-installed, would I still get those softwares or will I have to buy those separately if I don't purchase them pre-installed?
They are boxed software (although iWork has a trial version included on new Macs), so "pre-installed" would only apply if purchased online (and I'm not sure that they would do anything other than just send you the boxes so you can install them yourself). You can buy them at the Apple Store when you buy your iMac, or any time in the future.
McDung

2005-12-24, 15:49

So would I still get Final Cut and iWork even if I didn't purchase Final Cut pre-installed? If the answer is no, is it cheaper buying the software pre-installed or the boxed version?
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-12-24, 16:06

there is no difference.
further, there is no "preinstalled" - the software is not included with a new Mac (except for a trial version of iWork).

You want it - you buy it!

EDIT -
from http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html:
Front Row, iLife ’05 (includes iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie HD, iDVD, GarageBand), Photo Booth, Mail, Dashboard, Spotlight, iChat, Safari, Sherlock, QuickTime, iSync, iCal, DVD Player, Address Book, AppleWorks, iWork (30-day trial), Classic environment, Quicken 2006 for Mac, 2006 World Book, Nanosaur 2, Marble Blast Gold, Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac Test Drive, Zinio Reader, XCode Developer Tools and Apple Hardware Test

EDIT 2 -
you do get iMovie HD preinstalled, which should meet any non-professional video editing needs you would have.
McDung

2005-12-24, 16:14

I was talking about this

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2005-12-24, 16:17

I believe that option can only be picked if you buy from the AppleStore online, not in a retail outlet.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-12-24, 16:22

Exactly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL
"pre-installed" would only apply if purchased online
the prices quoted in your graphic seem to be the EDU prices. So, there would be no difference in buying them pre-installed, and buying them at the Apple Store using your EDU discount - whether you buy them at time of iMac purchase, or any time in the future.
ironlung

2005-12-24, 17:52

isnt it harder to install RAM in the new imacs as compared to the old ones?
Sargasm

Send a message via AIM to Sargasm  
2005-12-24, 17:55

It's weird, but am I the only one that got iWork for free with my mac? I purchased a 15 inch powerbook from an apple store, and it came with iLife and iWork, both non-trial versions.
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2005-12-24, 19:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL
Quote:
I'm contemplating about purchasing a 2.1 Ghz iMac. Would the education discount also apply in Apple Stores?
Yes. Make sure you have your drivers license or other photo ID as well as your student ID, official class schedule, or other proof of student-hood.
Wait. I thought brick-and-mortar Apple Stores allowed academic discounts on software only; if someone wanted a discount on hardware, they'd have to go though the online Apple Store. Have they switched policy now? Or did I misread McDung's original post?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2005-12-24, 19:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargasm
It's weird, but am I the only one that got iWork for free with my mac? I purchased a 15 inch powerbook from an apple store, and it came with iLife and iWork, both non-trial versions.
Some stores have packages that come with computers to help boost sales. Did you compair the price you paid for your machine to a similar setup on the online site? Also, iLife comes for free with every new Mac, as far as I know.
Sargasm

Send a message via AIM to Sargasm  
2005-12-24, 23:14

All I remember was buying the top of the line 15 inch pbook they had back in june. (1.67 ghz, 1 gig of ram, 100 gig hd, 128 mb 9700).
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-12-24, 23:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudwigVan
Wait. I thought brick-and-mortar Apple Stores allowed academic discounts on software only; if someone wanted a discount on hardware, they'd have to go though the online Apple Store. Have they switched policy now?
You got it exactly backwards. The discounts are on hardware only. Software needs to be purchased online.
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2005-12-25, 20:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile
You got it exactly backwards. The discounts are on hardware only. Software needs to be purchased online.
Thanks for the correction and confirmation. And here I was fretting about sending a certified check in the mail when I get around to purchasing a PowerBook.
beardedmacuser

2005-12-26, 13:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile
Also, I don't know why but the education discount is different online and in an Apple Store.
McDung

2005-12-27, 00:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL
Exactly.

the prices quoted in your graphic seem to be the EDU prices. So, there would be no difference in buying them pre-installed, and buying them at the Apple Store using your EDU discount - whether you buy them at time of iMac purchase, or any time in the future.
Earlier you said there is no "pre-installed"

"further, there is no "preinstalled" - the software is not included with a new Mac (except for a trial version of iWork)."

I still need some clarification about the softwares. If I didn't purchase the pre-installed option of Final Cut or iWork, would I still get those softwares bundled with the iMac where I get CDs/DVDs of those software and I'll just install them myself or is it I won't get iWork or Final Cut at all if I didn't purchase them pre-installed and I'd have to buy boxed versions of those to get them?
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-12-27, 02:55

Quote:
Earlier you said there is no "pre-installed"

"further, there is no "preinstalled" - the software is not included with a new Mac (except for a trial version of iWork)."
There is no "preinstalled" software other than that listed on the tech specs (and on the box) of iMacs sold at an Apple Retail Store.
As you pointed out, the online store will "preinstall" additional software if you pay extra for it.
Quote:
I still need some clarification about the softwares. If I didn't purchase the pre-installed option of Final Cut or iWork, would I still get those softwares bundled with the iMac where I get CDs/DVDs of those software and I'll just install them myself or is it I won't get iWork or Final Cut at all if I didn't purchase them pre-installed and I'd have to buy boxed versions of those to get them?
That would be choice "B" - you seem to be hung up on the term "preinstalled" or something....