User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

MacWorld vs MacAddict

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MacWorld vs MacAddict
tacvbo83

2005-12-27, 10:39

I am in the process of getting an iMac as soon as I sell my PC (probably until next month) and I was wondering what magazine subscription would you recommend for a mac user? Why?

Any other good magzines? (including music related)
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2005-12-27, 10:48

WIRED

Where are you? Some UK or US music or design mags aren't always available in other locales.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-12-27, 10:49

Great question (and here comes a great answer):

It depends on your own outlook/vibe, I think.

Macworld is more serious and plays it straight (think Time or Newsweek). MacAddict is more irreverent, freewheeling and playful (think Highlights)

But seriously, that's the basic gist. I'm a Macworld guy. I used to by MacAddict, but it always struck me as a bit South Park/Beavis...it skews younger, I do believe.

Honestly, here's your best bet for Mac magazines: those British ones like iCreate (if it's still around) and Mac Creative and several others. They cost a bit more, but compared to the actual CONTENT of the American mags, they're loaded! True, multi-page reviews, tutorials and articles.

Years ago, in the mid-late 90's, Macworld was quite thick, with smaller type and truly "packed in the goods": they're reviews were long, their articles about Macs and software spanned page after page. I truly used to LEARN stuff! But their quality has gone downhill over the years, IMO. Still a good, solid publication...but nothing like a decade or so ago.

The British ones now remind me of the Macworlds from 8-10 years ago: PACKED with good stuff (even the design, photography, infographics, etc. of the British ones are outstanding...they rarely seem to use Apple's stock PR shots, and always shoot their own amazing photography, showing the stuff in the best possible light).

Too bad they're expensive for us statesiders...

Buy one of each (Macworld and MacAddict) and you'll immediately see the difference in tone/approach. Go with the one that matches your sensibilities more.

Personally, I can't hang with MacAddict AT ALL...I feel like I should be Johnny Knoxville or something, when I read it.

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-12-27, 10:55

I don't really understand the appeal of magazines anymore... there's so much "lite reading" available now on the internet that I really don't feel like paying to read more of it. Especially when you have to wait a month for a review of a new piece of software (unless it's pre-announced well in advance and the magazine manages to get an early copy for review). Plus, those magazines have to appeal to a lot of people and therefore you end up with only a few pages of worthwhile content in each issue. They're just not worth it IMHO.

But maybe you're the magazine reading type. In that case I would suggest either Wired (for a better overall view of the entire industry, not just Mac-related stuff) or Macworld (for the Mac-specific focus). Macaddict is kind of fun but they are a little overly giddy about Apple products. It seems like the whole thing is being run by people who go out and buy five of every new Apple product the minute it's announced. I'm sure a lot of the people at Macworld are the same way, but they don't really show it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-12-27, 11:13

Luca brings up a great point (I didn't want to get into it, but he opened the door): for the first time in about seven or so years, I've not renewed my Macworld subscription.

Two reasons:

1. The "lack of meat" I talk about in my previous post. Just seems to get thinner and less informative with each passing year. And, frankly, it can get a bit iPod-centric at times. It really has in 2005.

2. With the Internet (and how much I check the Mac news/rumors sites, and participate in places like these 'Nova forums), by the time the issue comes out, I already know everything: the specs, prices, accessories offered, availability.

I never learn anything truly new or useful from Macworldanymore, and sometimes the reviews don't strike me as all that comprehensive or hard-hitting.

The Internet, in this instance, has truly trumped print.

On January 10, after Steve releases the goodies, we'll all know - via the Internet - EVERYTHING about the new Intel iBook or whatever. We'll see pics, features, specs, even some early reviews (maybe a day or two later, by a Walt Mossberg type who's had his hands on one for a few days).

Then, sometime in late February or early March, it'll make the cover of the next Macworld issue. With everything rehashed that we've already known for six weeks.

Just the nature of print vs. online...the immediacy of it all.

AND since Macworld seems to mostly use the stock Apple PR photography in the articles, I'm not getting any new, up close or enlightening views of the product that I've not already seen 100 times on Apple's website. I hate that too.

That's the reason I enjoy the British ones so much: they'll zoom into the back panel of the G5 the removed back panel of an iMac G5, where each port is about half an inch tall, shoot it at some wild-ass angle, blur out the edges some, etc. Why, it's darn near ART! And I loves it.

Them English people sure know how to take a purty picture!

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2005-12-27 at 11:35.
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2005-12-27, 11:34

what Pscates said.
If you hang around here, and if you keep in touch with what Apple is doing, anything in addict/world is going to be old news, and as pscates noted, MacAddict's sense of humor is immature and not very often funny.
MacHome was my favorite when I bought my first iMac, but then it got bought out a few times and became putrid and they are gone now I think.

MacWorld does a good job with tutorials, if you're at the newsstand browsing, and see they are doing a tutorial on a piece of software you own or are thinking of owning it might be worth picking up, as they get pretty in depth.

I think that would be my advice, buy at a newsstand if you see something of interest.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2005-12-28, 12:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Years ago, in the mid-late 90's, Macworld was quite thick, with smaller type and truly "packed in the goods": they're reviews were long, their articles about Macs and software spanned page after page. I truly used to LEARN stuff! But their quality has gone downhill over the years, IMO. Still a good, solid publication...but nothing like a decade or so ago.
Oh man, this sure sturs up a few memories. I still have a basement full of MacWorld magazines. But Pscates, you're bang on. I remember growing up with MacWorld getting so excited when the monthly issue arrived at my door. I'd go through it from page to page (including the classifieds). I'd even (sadly) bring it to bed to read. Great reading and very educational too.

One thing, do you remember if it John C. Dvorak that had the last page in those early years of MacWorld? Or was that in MacUser?
sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-12-28, 13:25

I get enough information off of MacWorld's website that I don't subscribe anymore. Their 'in depth' articles ain't what they used to be.

edit: I do subscribe to Wired though. Get that instead.

"What a computer is to me is it's the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with, and it's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."
- Steve Jobs
tacvbo83

2005-12-28, 13:52

I am convinced that I should just stick to online sources instead of using mags. Thanks for the opinions. I saw that quite a few of you recommended Wired. What is that mag about?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-12-28, 13:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo
One thing, do you remember if it John C. Dvorak that had the last page in those early years of MacWorld? Or was that in MacUser?
The only people remember having back page columns were David Pogue (Macworld) and Andy Inahkto(sp) in MacUser (although I think he came over to Macworld briefly when the two merged?

Are you sure Dvorak - who seems so ugly toward Apple and everything about them - wrote a column in a Mac magazine?

If he did, it must have been before I started reading in the mid-90's? I only remember Pogue and Andy I.

Was there a pre-peckerhead Dvorak, in the 80's or early 90's, who actually wrote for a Mac magazine?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2005-12-28, 14:55

I used to like MacAddict, but it just went downhill a few years ago, and as others have pointed out most of what is in the mags are online for free.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-12-28, 14:59

He used to be a columnist for MacUser. I can't figure out when he left, though... or for that matter, why he got so disillusioned toward Macs. It seems like the guy really hates Macs and Apple in general. Oh well, a lot of people here hate Windows and Microsoft so I don't think we have the right to judge him as harshly as many people do.

Except, of course, that he's wrong! And we're right!
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-12-28, 15:05

I don't care what his opinion is, Dvorak is a retard.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2005-12-28, 16:56

I'll second that Wired recommendation. For hardcore mac-related stuff, discussion sites like this and rumour sites like TS are much faster and entertaining than those mac magazines.

Get Wired, or New Scientist, and expand your horizons a little bit. They're great.
Batman

2005-12-28, 17:13

I used to read Macworld, back in its good 'ol days. Of course, I was younger at the time and really just bought it for the pictures of cool computers. I've gone back and looked at it now, and found it overpriced and ad-laden (more ads than content typically). On another note, 'scates is right : If you can find them, the British magazines are very good (try a bookstore like Barnes and Noble, or Borders Books).

Sometimes ... things that are expensive ... are worse.
sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-12-28, 17:33

I just got the latest issue of Wired in the mail today. The feature article is on robots.

Robots are cool and so is Wired.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-12-28, 17:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrain
I just got the latest issue of Wired in the mail today. The feature article is on robots.

Flattery will get you nowhere.
jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2005-12-28, 21:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrain
Wired is by far the best magazine on the market bar none (other than Autoweek sicne you get it ever WEEK.)

But that did not answer his question. I vote MacWorld. I used to get both but it is a waste of money. You get one of them just ot have something to read on the train or airplane.
sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-12-28, 21:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
Flattery will get you nowhere.
I wasn't blowing sunshine up your tin can ass.