User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

What to buy... PB for video editing?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
What to buy... PB for video editing?
JBMB

2005-01-14, 00:15

I'm new to mac and looking to get a machine that I can do some FCP video editing on. I'm thinking laptop right now, but having trouble deciding which one to get. I was leaning towards the PB 12-inch (PB 15-inch is very unfortunately out of my price range) but was a little unhappy with the screen size so took a glimpse at the i-book line. It seems that I can get the high end 14-inch ibook with all the same specs as the PB 12 (G4 1.33, superdrive, same resolution) and even upgrade to 768 MB RAM and 80 GB...not to mention the bigger screen... for cheaper than the PB. The only difference as far as I can tell is the videocard--the PB has a slightly better one. My question is, will this machine as described above be as powerful as a PB 12? Will it be able to handle the video editing? What would you recommend? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

---Also, is the apple store the best place to buy a mac?---
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2005-01-14, 09:20

You might want to read the threads in Rumors and Speculation. It seems G5 PB's and iB's may be afoot. I'm going to hold out a bit longer to make my decision.
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2005-01-14, 10:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude
You might want to read the threads in Rumors and Speculation. It seems G5 PB's and iB's may be afoot.
But I'd have a big chuck of sodium chloride standing by with this rumor...
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2005-01-14, 15:26

You're right about that Ludwig. Since my previous post, I came to the realization it was a typo, and that they meant to say G4. So, today I ordered my new PowerBook. I don't think there's any update coming until June.
JBMB

2005-01-15, 13:58

But what about the PB vs. the Ibook...if all specs are roughly equal...is there a major difference? Can the ibook handle video editing? And where's the best place to pick this thing up? I'm green with all this and struggling..help a brother out!
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-01-15, 17:25

Main differences between the iBook and PowerBook is the PB's monitor spanning, audio input, better video card, and higher additional RAM ceiling. You'll also be able to use PC cards with the PB. I believe that there's still a firmware hack that will allow monitor spanning with the iBook, too.

Other than that, they're really darn close. I think you'd be happy with either one.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-01-15, 17:55

Actually, the iBook and 12" PowerBook can take the same amount of RAM - 256 MB built in plus a 1 GB module for a total of 1.25 GB. Combine that with the monitor spanning hack on the 12" iBook and there aren't a whole lot of compelling reasons to go for the PowerBook. It's slightly faster and has a better video card, but that's about it.

Last edited by Brad : 2005-01-15 at 18:01. Reason: span hack for the iBook, not PowerBook ;)
JBMB

2005-01-16, 12:45

What's up with this monitor spanning hack? Tell me more, Tell me more!
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-01-16, 12:50

First hit on Google for the search, iBook spanning hack:

http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-01-16, 12:51

You can modify the firmware so the video port will span instead of mirror.

However, this voids your warranty, IIRC.
Kyle.esq

2005-01-16, 13:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMB
Yeah I have been meaning to ask this question. Is it? And if so, online or in an acual store (like Soho for instance)?
BarracksSi
BANNED

2005-01-16, 13:18

The Apple stores are the best places to try Macs, but in buying them, it doesn't matter at all. They're the same stuff in the same boxes with the same warranty.
Kyle.esq

2005-01-16, 13:32

True. But how about the price? Shipping and Handling...Taxes...etc. Which place is the better deal? Does it make a difference?
BarracksSi
BANNED

2005-01-16, 13:43

Shop around and see what totals you can come up with before you hit the Checkout button.

Me? I don't care enough about the price differences, so I buy things where I find 'em.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-01-16, 14:02

Don't be fooled by the iBook's 14" screen. The 12" and 14" screens have exactly the same resolution so the screen realestate problem will be the same for either one. If you need more screen space, you need to get the 15" powerbook.

You may want to look at used 15" PBs before you decide.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-01-16, 14:13

Apple gives you free shipping, better than many places... but they also tack on sales tax regardless of which state you're in (unless you are in a state that doesn't have sales tax). The other advantage of buying from Apple is that you can choose various build-to-order options, like the HIGHLY RECOMMENDED 5400 RPM hard drive upgrade. Other places will often charge shipping, and they don't offer BTO options, but you avoid sales tax. They also may offer various bundle deals, like extra RAM, although it's usually accompanied by a rather steep installation fee. Usually it's still cheaper than buying it separately, and you do get it preinstalled so that removes some of the hassle.

Definitely look around and see if you can find a place that offers both free shipping AND no sales tax. Amazon might be a good place to look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
However, this voids your warranty, IIRC.
Perhaps, but there is no way Apple can actually tell you've done the hack if you simply reverse it (which is easy). In fact, when I owned an iBook a couple years ago, I actually did the hack and then sent it back to Apple for a hard drive repair without undoing it first, and they didn't raise issue. So I wouldn't worry about it, but do keep in mind that it is still an unsupported procedure and Apple won't be there to help you if it messes up your machine.
Kyle.esq

2005-01-16, 17:05

So you can only customize a Mac via internet, only?
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-01-16, 17:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle.esq
So you can only customize a Mac via internet, only?
Yes, pretty much. If you only wanted something like a HD upgrade, you may be able to buy from a place like Smalldog, though I think Mac system purchases are only available to prior customers of the store.

http://www.smalldog.com/category/x/x...ag102/wag10002
Ed Rooney

2005-01-16, 21:25

Try CDW to avoid the sales tax (I think). In the corporate world, they don't charge us tax if they don't have a CDW location in the state to which they are shipping. We end up paying a "use charge" or something like that, but it is self-assesed. They might handle it another way for consumer products.

I am new to the mac world, but I know that notebooks are generally not the best for graphical type applications.
macgeek2004

2005-01-18, 17:51

If you go to everymac.com and look at the specs for the PB, and the iBook, you'll see how much more powerfull the PB is.

For example, PowerBook has: Twice the amount of V-Ram
167Mhz system bus (133Mhz in the iBook)
Faster Ram, (PC2700 in the PB, PC2100 in the iBook)
+ various other qualities.

Taking all of this into consideration, the PB is definatly worth it's price.

The iBook is a great fast G4 for anybody who want's their mac on the road.

The Powerbook is made for more heavy duty stuff, (such as video editing)
thegibbon

2005-01-20, 14:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMB

another thing, is if you buy a new mac and it's broken, they'll exchange it if you bought it from an apple store, but if you got it anywhere else you have to mail it off for a repair. it's not too likely to happen, but sucks when it does.
BarracksSi
BANNED

2005-01-20, 17:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegibbon
another thing, is if you buy a new mac and it's broken, they'll exchange it if you bought it from an apple store, but if you got it anywhere else you have to mail it off for a repair. it's not too likely to happen, but sucks when it does.
I bought mine used from a friend, and the local Apple store doesn't treat me any differently.

If you take it to an Apple store, they'll deal with it as needed. They'll still send it out if it can be repaired, but they'll be the ones to do a replacement, too.

If you have to mail it out, it'll likely take less than a week to get it back. Some people have had it happen where they call Apple, get a mailing box the next morning, send it out that day (Apple pays for overnight shipping), Apple takes a day to fix it & send it again, and the owner receives it on the third day.

(so, for example: call on Monday, get the box Tuesday, send it that afternoon, repairs made Wednesday, and the Mac returns home Thursday. No kidding.)
autodata
hustlin

2005-01-20, 17:40

if you are going with XGA, go with the 12" powerbook. The small size can be extremely useful.

If you are going to be doing video and getting a screen larger than 12", get the 15" powerbook. The extra pixels will be a tremendous help and will certainly justify the larger size.

Also, get a least 1GB of RAM. Otherwise, that thing will be taxing your hard drive and making you wait around.