User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

"Episode VII" cast officially announced (with pic)...all the rumors were true!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
"Episode VII" cast officially announced (with pic)...all the rumors were true!
Page 2 of 25 Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  Next Last Thread Tools
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-04-30, 15:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
I won't go so far as to say "I'm done" but I completely agree otherwise.
Where by "I'm done" I mean they've lost me and I'll just chalk it up to Hollywood stupidity and move on down the road. Episodes 7-9 will move into Episodes 1-3 status, by which I mean "don't care if I never see them again".

Otherwise, Paul says it quite well. They have a lot to gain by getting it right, and even more to lose by getting it wrong. Either way, I won't be standing in line. Like I said, I have low expectations for this trilogy. Springtime dollar movie sounds perfect!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-04-30, 15:53

Zippy, I love seeing Harrison Ford in those things too ("The Fugitive", the Clancy stuff, "Air Force One", etc.). I'm specifically talking about very recently (past 5-10 years in real-life scenarios; he's just fried/goofy-acting). He's dangerously close to veering into Busey/Nolte territory. That's not something anyone should want to see.

It also doesn't help, or fill me with confidence, that he seems perfectly content to just sleepwalk through everything he's done over the past 10 years.

As for the other, yeah...we'll have to agree to disagree there. The first "Trek" was kinda okay. I enjoyed parts of it (seeing the characters come together the first time, seeing the big shipyard on Earth, Karl Urban's work as McCoy, etc.). But I'm just stunned at how they gave themselves an out/blank slate and just went with Khan again. As if sticking that Benedict Cabbagepatch guy in everything is the automatic go-to, instant "cool" move.

And Simon Pegg really works my nerves in his role here. He's not funny. I'm not even sure he should try to be, and can't quite figure out why Abrams thinks he should either. Was Scotty the full-on comic relief on the series? I don't believe so. But, like Cabbagepatch, there's this well of certain actors that it's cool to pull from for all these genre properties...they're geek/nerd-friendly, they themselves proclaim their love for this stuff, they've got popular Twitter accounts, etc. I get all that. It doesn't, however, automatically mean they're the best actor for the job.

But I've fully copped to not being a Trek fan/follower, so of course I'm going to find it all a bit idiotic. I've always thought Star Trek was a bit uppity and overwrought, and was never my cup of tea.

I just think those two movies were weak, lazy retreads that could've - and should've - been so much more, especially with the opportunity they gave themselves! I don't know why I'm the only one who sees that as such a huge waste of potential and opportunity. I'm not even a fan, but even I - given the alternate reality/timeline to play with - could've come up with something that wasn't just two hours of lazy, clap-happy Fan Service 101.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-04-30, 16:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
OMG Whammer HOW DID YOU GET IN MY HEAD?????????????
Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Why are you yelling at me for bringing up similar things, but when he does it he's "inside your head"?!
I'm holding his diamond armor hostage!
addabox
Veteran Member

2014-04-30, 16:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
...If a Jedi resorts to blasters to win a duel, I'm done
OTOH, if Ford is confronted by a lightsaber wielding Sith going on ninja on him, and he just rolls his eyes and blasts him, the crowd would go wild.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-04-30, 17:20

Now something like that could be genuinely funny, done right. I don't know if they'd do such an obvious "homage" or gag, but all the elements could line up to allow it (although the prequels have established that a Jedi with a lightsaber can deflect 18 million blaster shots coming in from all angles). I assume Sith have similar skill levels?

What are the chances that 72-year-old Han Solo could squeeze off a single, Sith-killing perfect shot? He fired off 3-4 at dining table Vader on Cloud City with zero luck.

I wonder what this world will look like? We have nothing to base it on, really. The original movies had their look/design. And they, in turn, kinda influenced the prequels (some of the spaceships, etc.), as "earlier versions of the tech". But we've never moved forward in time in this world, 30 years.

The thing about the original trilogy was that "used, lived in" look that Lucas often spoke of. Is that even more so? Or are parts of the galaxy really high-end and classy? Parts of the prequel were (Naboo), while Coruscant looked like downtown Pittsburgh.

What would a world, 30 years after the one we last saw, look like? While the first instinct would be to maintain and latch onto those iconic designs, be realistic...think of how much has changed here on Earth, in 30 years, in terms of vehicles, electronics, decor, clothing, building design, devices, entertainment, graphic design, packaging, etc.

Ideally, the world we see in these new movies should've look like that of the original trilogy (the sets, spaceships, etc.). Han shouldn't be wearing a vest and trying to keep that old look because, apart from a few sad cases still wearing Members Only jackets (ironically or otherwise), nobody does that after 30 years.

This thing will be 10x more believable if it truly seems like three decades have passed. That means jettisoning the design/look we've all come to recognize as "Star Wars" for something "based on it, but nowhere near the same". Maybe Jedi robes are seen as cumbersome and outdated, and Luke wears a neat tunic or jumpsuit? Surely he's got another ship besides his X-wing?

The only holdover we should see - and that we'd want to see - is the Millennium Falcon. At this point, it's almost like a classic muscle car...still maintained and still running, with a reputation to go with it. However, much as in real life, I wouldn't mind seeing it tweaked a bit. Either it got a really crisp, white shiny paint/cleaning/detailing job, or Han one day said "screw it" and gave it a dark grey, or black, paint job. It's going to have to look different somehow, in the way that something 30 years old looks different. Maybe, due to newer engine/propulsion tech, the Falcon's engine's now glow green or orange, instead of blue? Little tweaks and touches like that could be neat, and could help play up/sell the passage of time...new ideas and tech have come along, and a tinkerer/modder like Solo would surely incorporate them into his ship.

We assume he's lived a quiet, peaceful life for 30 years (no Empire fighting, no smuggling/legally-questionable activity), so maybe the guns have been removed? Maybe the radar dish (after getting knocked off during the battle of Endor) has a different look and isn't round/dish?

Blasters? Luke wouldn't have one, and someone like Han would likely still have his trusty DL-44 (maybe tweaked/modified a bit...new scope, etc.?). But the other weaponry and tech...it's not going to look like blasters from the original trilogy. Not after 30 years.

Stuff like that, I enjoy thinking about.
¡Damned!

2014-04-30, 18:11

Quote:
For someone like Ford to return, knowing how adamant he was about Solo getting killed off in ROTJ, makes me think that one of the stipulations to his involvement is just that;
And as he lays dying, Leia is holding his hand. His last words to her are "I love you" - Leia: "I know".

Best. Scene. Ever.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-04-30, 18:15

I know I said I want to be spoiler-free, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want a 20-minute look at the script.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-04-30, 18:50

Super Shadow might have it for you.

Wrao
Yarp

2014-04-30, 18:57

So not feeling any of this...
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-04-30, 21:08

LOL @scates for feeling overlooked.

Listen, this kind of crap is already happening: Campaign for Mark Hamill to Have a Beard in the Next Film

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-04-30, 21:42

Well I don't get involved in all that. I figure the filmmakers and all are smart enough to figure some stuff out on their own. There's 35+ years of precedent and two "opening episodes in a trilogy" to reference and pull from.

The Reddit thing seems like a solution in search of a problem.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2014-04-30 at 22:16.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-04-30, 22:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capella View Post
Overall first impression:

-Not thrilled about the diversity of the casting announcement.
Not sure how to read this...

If I take it literally, as written, you're not happy about the diversity (the black guy, etc.). But I can't imagine that from you, of all people. So I don't think that's how you meant it.

Or did you leave out the words/implication of "lack of"...and you're bothered that there aren't more minorities, women, etc.?

Kinda been waiting on you all day to expand on this, but you never did. And the curiosity/interest is killing me.

That John Boyega guy is listed first (and it's not due to alphabetizing), so I'm assuming that he, at least among the newer cast, is considered the "lead". Good for him.

Kinda out of left field, but if this movie is set 30 years after the events of the Battle of Endor (just as 30 or so years have passed here in the real world), maybe the opportunities and positions are held by people who weren't seen in those roles much three decades ago? Kinda mirrors real life? Denzel, Halle Berry, etc. win Oscars, some folks even become President of the U.S. So if the new hero in a "Star Wars" movie isn't a(nother) white dude, that shouldn't be as mind-blowing as it might've been in 1977 or 1980.

Although getting involved with this stuff can be a double-edged sword. Depending on what you do in the years that follow, you either branch out and have a successful career, full of variety and spend 2-3 decades as an entertainment A-lister (Harrison Ford).

Or you never quite rise to the occasion, and become typecast and forever tied to your role in a particular movie (or genre) and spend the rest of your life doing the fan convention thing and becoming a smug, entitled asshole whose entire identity seems tied to one character/project (Anthony Daniels).

Or, ideally, maybe you go the Hamill route and never get so big and famous that you lose yourself and can't live a normal life, but you have skills and talents that you can display in other areas (animation, voiceover, etc.) that keep you as an in-demand, respected performer (and fan favorite). You acknowledge/respect what this project did for you (and you don't play it down, demean or dismiss it when asked about it), but you can do, and talk about, other things.

Of the three, I'd personally prefer the Hamill route.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2014-04-30 at 22:32.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2014-05-01, 04:05

Quote:
Not sure how to read this...

If I take it literally, as written, you're not happy about the diversity (the black guy, etc.). But I can't imagine that from you, of all people. So I don't think that's how you meant it.

Or did you leave out the words/implication of "lack of"...and you're bothered that there aren't more minorities, women, etc.?

Kinda been waiting on you all day to expand on this, but you never did. And the curiosity/interest is killing me.
The diversity seems fine to me — women do make up a mere 2/13th of the population.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2014-05-02, 21:29

Yeah, more women would have been nice. They've said since that there is a "major" female role yet to be cast, but that reads a bit damage-control-y; if it was really a major role they would have probably waited to include them in what's clearly supposed to be a historic photo. But maybe they couldn't wait, with leaks and things? Who knows. I'm sure Daisy Ridley's character will be smart and empowered and all the things that your Spunky Modern Heroine is supposed to be, and I get that they're working with the established "power trio" trope here. But still. More women would have been nice.

But this is the same company that has fucking Scarlett Johansson on board and can't seem to get their heads out of their asses regarding a Black Widow movie, so.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
¡Damned!

2014-05-02, 21:55

The Winter Soldier is about as much of a Black Widow movie as we're going to get, it seems. Honestly, you can't blame Disney. *ALL* of these properties are a sausage-fest, and I give props to JJ for making the central character in future SW a female.

The X/Y ratio blah blah is undetermined yet (for us), but I'm sure there's a lot more *female* in the mix, human or alien. I wouldn't worry.

[edit]: They should've given Whedon the Wonder Woman helm when they had the chance. Nobody does strong, smart, powerful women like Whedon. Nobody.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2014-05-02 at 22:13.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-05-02, 23:53

The one character we haven't talked about yet, and I don't know how/if he'd make any sense, but there's no denying his popularity...if he, or his armor, isn't blatantly seen, you know good and well Boba Fett will somehow be referenced. Someone will fly by in his ship, etc.

Again, to help de-lame the part giving to him and his old man in the prequels, they're gonna want to find a place for him in this thing...even if it's just a character mentioning his name (because I guess he's dead...he fell into that pit in ROTJ). I know he supposedly climbed out in the Expanded Universe, but apparently that all means nothing now (but it doesn't mean they can't pull certain elements from it, if they wanted).

I don't want this, however, to become a full-on nostalgia fest, shoe-horning everyone/everything under the sun just to elicit a bit of fanboy bonerism. That'll be no better/smarter than the prequels, if they start shuffling down Fan Service Boulevard...
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-05-03, 00:44

You negated the need for my response with your last paragraph... embedding nods to fans doesn't tell a story.

I just want them to tell a story

¡Damned!

2014-05-03, 00:57

No, no. Please no Boba Fett. That would honestly be too much.

Not for this round, at least. I hate to even say this, but maybe for VIII? I'm sure JJ is going for the same curve as 4-6, that is, up, down, up (roughly). Fett would be an astounding villain for XIII.

That's not going to happen though. We're looking at a new world completely, hopefully with the bare minimum of past players.

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-05-03, 08:22

Yeah. I don't want it either because it would be too convenient, predictable and corny.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2014-05-03, 22:32

Kschererer: the only one you weren't excited about? How did you watch that first abortive prequel and manage to make yourself excited for the second POS prequel?

Scates: I don't know who these people are but I know none of them are Hayden what's his face. Thank the Maker. Fucking terrible actor who along with JarJar Douchebag, and a bowl full of superfluous effects, trashed the first group of sequels beyond recognition (thanks George!).

JJ: please don't fuck up. I'll believe the "trying to make fans proud" thing when I see it. So someone help me out here... this movie takes place between the last prequel and the Original Star Wars ™ ?

...into the light of a dark black night.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-05-03, 23:02

No, it's 30 years after the events in "Return of the Jedi", hence the return/involvement of the original cast where roughly the same amount of time has passed in real life, here on Earth.
SpecMode
Wait what

2014-05-03, 23:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Fett would be an astounding villain for XIII.
I think we'd all be dead by then, at the rate these movies get made.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-05-04, 00:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
....but I know none of them are Hayden what's his face. Thank the Maker. Fucking terrible actor who along with JarJar Douchebag, and a bowl full of superfluous effects...
You mean he wasn't CG??

I just thought the technology was limited.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2014-05-04, 09:55

Quote:
No, it's 30 years after the events in "Return of the Jedi", hence the return/involvement of the original cast where roughly the same amount of time has passed in real life, here on Earth.
AH! "I see" said the Jedi with one eye... it's all becoming clear to me now. So will their be an obese, grumpy Carrie Fisher too, then?

Quote:
You mean he wasn't CG??

I just thought the technology was limited.
I know, right? I was sure he was a robot too when I heard him say stuff like this:

"I hate sand... it gets everywhere... especially in my jedi-gina when I'm trying to recite my lines for the camera. So itchy. Makes me want to cut off my long jedi-tassle-pony-tail and feed it to the minochs."

...into the light of a dark black night.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-05-04, 11:49

Mynocks.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-05-04, 19:30

Quote:
AH! "I see" said the Jedi with one eye... it's all becoming clear to me now. So will their be an obese, grumpy Carrie Fisher too, then?
With any luck, yes.

Recent pics I see of her, she's kinda got that hollow-faced Margot Kidder look going on. Hard living...

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2014-05-04 at 19:47.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-05-04, 20:32

I wanted to write something this weekend, to post today in several places. As much as I have to say about stuff, and as much as I like to write about things I'm passionate about...the words never came. After a week of learning what we've learned about the new movies, today being May 4th, etc., I truly thought it would all just come flowing out.

Weird that it hasn't.

But they were perfect, to me. And they always will be.

And maybe that's all that needs to be said?
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2014-05-04, 21:22

Quote:
Mynocks.
Force Snob.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-05-05, 11:54

Quote:
Kschererer: the only one you weren't excited about? How did you watch that first abortive prequel and manage to make yourself excited for the second POS prequel?
Mooooooogs: Yeah, weird I know. But, like I said, nostalgia. I was caught up in it. Normally, I am very good about analyzing a story. I can sort it out from all the special effects and fluff (For instance, Ender's Lame was, um … and that Killing Kids for Sport series, Catching Herpes? Horrible!)

My brain functions better when not on Star Wars drugs. Fortunately, I am wiser now and less fanboy prone than I was then.

But, I began to recover my senses when Padmé—having gone from zero to 6-months pregnant in two shakes of a scene—said, "I love you" and Anakin immediately replied, "No, I love you!" with a look of phony aggression burping from his eyes. My story-senses jumped in front of the Star Wars drugs and yelled, "What the hell did he just say?"

Then, after Anakin went from sweet, lovable Jedi to Killing Kids for Sport because save Padmé, I about fell out of my seat. Really? The entire Darth-Vader-bad-ass-evil-villain legacy is built on that crap? Really? There wasn't even any buildup. Absolutely no reason for him to turn all dark and scary. None. What. So. Ever!

I am going to jot down what Georgey should have done to make this story believable, rather than that crap-thing he gave us. That should open up a great, giant can of worms.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-05-05, 12:46

Seeing the pic today of Bob Iger (Disney) posting an Instagram of himself and Chewie kinda made me realize something...

"Revenge of the Sith" came out in 2005. Twitter didn't exist until 2006, the iPhone came out in 2007 - but third-party apps were still a good year or so away, and even that took a while for some to exist, Instagram has only been around since 2010; and if you want to get picky, Facebook came out in 2004 and was only available to everyone in fall of 2006). All that to say these movies, the existing two trilogies, have all been created and released prior to the social media, 24/7 mobile Internet and app revolutions.

It'll be interesting to see these movies getting made now, in a world of everyone Tweeting, Instagramming and, frankly, harboring a serious "look at me/us!" streak, the way many celebrities and execs do.

In just one week's time, before a frame of principal photography has been shot, we've had a cast photo, an Abrams/Kasdan "video selfie" yesterday about May 4th and, today, the Chewie/Iger Instagram. In just one week, all the above. Now imagine what all will have been (willingly) put out there by the end of the year. And then realize that there's another whole year to go before the release!

The very people making this stuff will likely be the ones spoiling the shit out of it for the next 18 or so months, I fear. Plots and twists surely won't be revealed (I hope not), but characters, costumes, sets, vehicles, props, etc. will certainly be. These fools all walking around with their iPhones and Twitter/Instagram accounts fired up, trying to stir up a bit of "buzz" and hype for the next year-and-a-half.

It isn't necessary, guys.

I don't think that's good. I understand that it's widespread, free publicity. But if it's abused and overdone, come December 2015 there won't be any real surprises or sense of discovery remaining if all the involved filmmakers, cast* and studio execs are blabbing/showing everything via their iPhones and favorite apps.

It's going to change the whole dynamic and approach.

*I was skimming through Carrie Fisher's horrifying Twitter a bit the other day, and that woman just shares entirely too much. Most of it, inane, pointless details about her personal life. I imagine how she's going to be with this. Abrams and others may have to force (hahahahaha!) her to suspend/deactivate her Twitter account because that nutball will likely post anything and everything she sees. She already does, from what little I've read. She comes across so batty and attention-starved, so I can only imagine how she'll be once in costume and the cameras finally rolling...

Forever gone are the days where movies are made in a secret, private bubble. I get that. But some will suffer for it more than others.

Our first "Star Wars" movies of the social media/over-sharing/24-7 Internet era...yikes. And ugh...