User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
DVD zone?
chinesebear

2005-02-21, 21:48

I am planning on buying a new 12" powerbook to use to edit videos and such of my teaching and other experiences in China. My question is specifically about the dvd burner/player. Does anyone know if it is region free for playing DVD's? also, when burning a DVD does it include the region from which i bought the Powerbook? For clarification...many DVD's come encoded with a region...US is region 1, China is region 5...i wanna play my DVD's in both places. Is this doable on my future Mac?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-02-21, 22:01

You can switch regions on your DVD player up to five times before the hardware locks into the final region.

If you're lucky, you can find a hacked firmware upgrade that will allow you to make your drive region-free.

Some information can be found here, but I would STRONGLY suggest you do lots of research before applying any hacks.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
chinesebear

2005-02-22, 17:43

so does the DVD burner record in that selected region as well or is that region free?