User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Probably the 3000th time you guys have heard this

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Probably the 3000th time you guys have heard this
Egress

2005-02-28, 16:02

I am a lifelong PC user that is thinking about making the perverbial "switch".

I would like some help in deciding a model.

1st thing, needs to be a laptop.
2nd thing, I am used to a zippy response from my PC, so i want no lag (very impatient)

Things I will be using it for:

- Web Design (first and foremost)
- DVD Authoring (first child is on it's way)
- DVD Ripping and subsequent burning
- Email (I have over 10 POP3 accounts)
- Torrent DL's
- General Web Surfing
- Photo Editing.
- Possible gaming

I am not leaving the PC or Windows platform, I am just, from a superfical standpoint, looking at a new avenue to traverse.

I realize this is probably about the millionth time for this type of post, and I appologize.

Thank You!
Ryan
Veteran Member

2005-02-28, 19:58

I'd get a 12 or 15" Powerbook. If you get a 12, be sure to get an external screen. It can be hooked up to both DVI and VGA monitors.

I have a 12" Powerbook(Rev.A) and that's basically the same stuff that I do on mine.
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2005-02-28, 20:05

Yup, me too; my Rev. A 12" PB has served me well. Like CubeDude said, a 12" or 15" PB would do the trick quite nicely I think.
Egress

2005-03-01, 11:46

The 12'' is entirely too small for my needs.

I'm stuck between the 15'' and the 17''

Reason being, the 15'' i want is only a couple hundred short of the price of the 17''.

Is there any reason to fork over the extra cash for the 1.67 17''?
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

2005-03-01, 12:14

Do you need the bigger screen or a digital audio input/output? Thats the only difference between the 15" and the 17" I think. Someone correct me if Im wrong.
leod

2005-03-01, 21:28

well, one other difference may be shorter battery life on the 17. Also, the 17" has two speakers instead of three. THe only other thing I can think of, is that If you buy the 17, you can get it immediately (depends of course where you buy it.). For that 15" loaded up, you can likely expect to wait for a little while (and you have to purchase it directly through apple.)
¡Damned!

2005-03-01, 22:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyafterdark
Do you need the bigger screen or a digital audio input/output? Thats the only difference between the 15" and the 17" I think. Someone correct me if Im wrong.
That and the fact the 17" has a 128MB video card standard. Personally, I'd go for the 17"...but then I'm a screen real-estate freak...
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

2005-03-01, 22:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709
That and the fact the 17" has a 128MB video card standard.
Oh ya, how could I have missed that one.
octavist13

2005-03-01, 23:34

I'd personally go with the 17". I'm gonna buy one eventually and I'm lookin' at the 17". Then there's no real need for the extra expense of an additional monitor and all the screwin' around. I like big monitors and do a lot of photo retouching so it's kind of a necessity for me.
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-03-01, 23:48

go with a 14 inch iBook. It'll do everything you need it to for almost a 1000 dollars less. put that thousand dollars saved into getting good peripherals and software or save it and buy a new iBook in 2 years rather than having to milk the powerbook beyond its lifespan because it costs so much.

right now, I think the best thing for mac users is to buy iMacs or iBooks (or the mac mini) and resell and buy new every 18-24 months. maybe even quicker if you're into it. i think it would work out well. that's what I'm planning to do the minute the mac mini has a core video supported GPU.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-03-02, 02:05

That's a fair point from 'nut. You could most probably do what you need to on an iBook and utiltise your residual funds in a more efficient manner! Bear in mind though that the 14" and 12" iBook both have the same pixel count - so if you crave a small form factor go with the 12"iBook and you'll save even more. Scratch that - just saw that the 12" does not have a BTO option for a SD.

Anyway, you may not need to be on the bleeding edge ... think about putting the $ saved into software, or an external HD, or an iPod, or a bluetooth keyboard/mouse set-up, or an LCD screen. With technology based purchases these days, the actual computer unit itself is the tip of the iceberg.
p-trick

2005-03-02, 08:51

I do not fully agree with the ibook/pbook comparison - at least not for the 12".
To me the better video-card on the pbook was a good reason to go with the pbook: small when on the road, but when hooked up to an external monitor you can go beyond 1024*768 res.
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-03-02, 13:15

there is a software hack to allow higher resolutions. yes, it's a hack and therefore unsupported and used at your own risk but it does work. it simply enables what apple disables for marketing reasons

he also didn't make a mention of external screen use so, i was making the recommendation based on being used as a portable. the graphics i feel you will find to be comparable in most usage except for gaming and 3d modeling of course.
Egress

2005-03-04, 16:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of the 'nut
the graphics i feel you will find to be comparable in most usage except for gaming and 3d modeling of course.

You brought up a good point. Can a fully loaded 17'' play games? (such as WoW, and the like)
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-03-04, 16:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egress
I am a lifelong PC user that is thinking about making the perverbial "switch".

I would like some help in deciding a model.

1st thing, needs to be a laptop.
2nd thing, I am used to a zippy response from my PC, so i want no lag (very impatient)

Things I will be using it for:

- Web Design (first and foremost)
- DVD Authoring (first child is on it's way)
- DVD Ripping and subsequent burning
- Email (I have over 10 POP3 accounts)
- Torrent DL's
- General Web Surfing
- Photo Editing.
- Possible gaming

I am not leaving the PC or Windows platform, I am just, from a superfical standpoint, looking at a new avenue to traverse.

I realize this is probably about the millionth time for this type of post, and I appologize.

Thank You!
15" PowerBook is what you need. But this isn't about avenues. Leave the bad stuff behind.
Egress

2005-03-05, 07:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by leod
Also, the 17" has two speakers instead of three. THe only other thing I can think of, is that If you buy the 17, you can get it immediately (depends of course where you buy it.).

That seems a bit odd that the 17'' has 1 less speaker, no?

Also, the 17'' models are more readily availible? Why is this?
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2005-03-05, 08:15

I'm not going to buy into the iBook/PowerBook debate, but what I will say is this: buy as much memory as you can afford — Mac OS will use it if it's there, and the difference will be very noticeable. Don't buy your memory from Apple though — get it from Crucial or similar.

As for games, any of the PowerBooks should be fine for WoW, I would think. In fact they're probably fine for any Mac-released game other than Doom 3.
leod

2005-03-05, 10:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egress
That seems a bit odd that the 17'' has 1 less speaker, no?

Also, the 17'' models are more readily availible? Why is this?
I believe the 17" model was able to get a larger speaker that can cover more tonal range, ie the midrange is better. The 15", and I think the 12 have added a third speaker, just to do midrange duties.

As for the availability, who knows. Some have speculated that Apple does also make it impossible to get he latest, or hottest model without having to wait a long time, unless you get it directly through them.
The model(s) I was infact refering to above are the 15" BTO's, since it seemed that you were alluding to the fact that you wanated to get a "super" 15. (the super,(or fully loaded) 15 is only about 200 dollars cheaper than the 17).

Im actually in the same position you are, and am on my way down to the Apple store to pick up my shiny new 15". (I'm actually switching back, havent owned a mac since my Quadra 650, which is still in the basment in its original boxes) Personlly, for me the 17" just seems like it is a little to big for the portability factor. Good luck.
Egress

2005-03-07, 14:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by leod
Im actually in the same position you are, and am on my way down to the Apple store to pick up my shiny new 15".

Please tell me how you like it, when you get some free time!