User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Debate: buy an iPod now or buy an iBook sooner?


Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Debate: buy an iPod now or buy an iBook sooner?
Thread Tools
Wyatt
On twitter: @bwyatt
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Near Indianapolis
 
2005-03-11, 13:59

Ok, so I've decided I'm going to buy an iBook this summer. I have a bit of a dilemma, though. I know I'm going to buy an iPod as well, but if I buy that before the iBook, it might take me an extra month to get the computer.

I have the money for the iPod now (I'm buying a 4GB mini to save money, despite the fact that I have the cash for a 20 GB right now). I'm trying to decide if I want to go ahead and get the iPod now or if I want to wait until after I have my iBook. I have my entire music collection in iTunes right now and I love the idea of having the iPod for doing homework in the library, etc., but I really want the iBook, too... as it looks now, it'll be at least late May (more likely early June) before I can get the iBook anyway. Should I go ahead and buy the iPod?
  quote
sildani
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern Virginia
Send a message via AIM to sildani  
2005-03-11, 14:08

These are fun questions...

I love my iPod, and since you already have iTunes set up somewhere, I say get the iPod now and wait to get the iBook later. You stand the chance to get a better iBook if you wait, in particular the new OS, Tiger, pre-loaded.

Get the iPod dude!

Check out the bluehair page for some witty, ad-free commentary on life as we know it.

Last edited by sildani : 2005-03-11 at 14:08. Reason: Fix typo
  quote
Wraven
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
 
2005-03-11, 15:10

I agree. F it - you can't get the iBook right now, so go for the instant gratification.
  quote
Wyatt
On twitter: @bwyatt
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Near Indianapolis
 
2005-03-11, 15:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraven
I agree. F it - you can't get the iBook right now, so go for the instant gratification.
I couldn't have said it better myself.

I actually had just talked myself into this conclusion and was getting back on here to update my dilemma, but I already had two people re-affirming my decision to BUY NOW DAMMIT!!!

So I will. Later tonight (hopefully within the next 20 minutes), I'll be going to Best Buy to pick up my brand new blue iPod mini.
  quote
sildani
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern Virginia
Send a message via AIM to sildani  
2005-03-11, 15:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz
... I'll be going to Best Buy to pick up my brand new blue iPod mini.
Get the extended warranty... it covers the iPod for 3 full years for about $50, a pretty good deal. Once your battery starts going south, you can just get a new one no questions asked, so long as it's in the 3 yr period.

Check out the bluehair page for some witty, ad-free commentary on life as we know it.
  quote
torifile
Less than Stellar Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Durham, NC
Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-03-11, 16:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sildani
Get the extended warranty... it covers the iPod for 3 full years for about $50, a pretty good deal. Once your battery starts going south, you can just get a new one no questions asked, so long as it's in the 3 yr period.
Don't do that. Get AppleCare. Avoid Best Buy's warranty like the plague. They tell you one think to get you to buy it and then not honor it when you need it. I got one with my car deck. I was told that if something went wrong with it and they couldn't fix it there, they'd replace it. Instead they made me go 3 weeks without a radio while their incompetent workers tried to fix it and then gave me a new one. They'll probably do the same with an iPod.

Get AppleCare and it will cover you for 3 years. You can buy it from Apple after you get the iPod, regardless of where you get the iPod.
  quote
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Slightly Off Center
 
2005-03-11, 16:22

As idiotic as BB's service crew might be, I can't see them trying to open up an iPod. I think CompUSA has the best no-?-asked replacement policy, though.
  quote
torifile
Less than Stellar Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Durham, NC
Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-03-11, 16:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL
As idiotic as BB's service crew might be, I can't see them trying to open up an iPod. I think CompUSA has the best no-?-asked replacement policy, though.
They used to until people started taking advantage of it. Personally I'd avoid all the stores' policies because their managers are uber-sleazy and will try to get out of fulfilling the agreement anyway they can.
  quote
sildani
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern Virginia
Send a message via AIM to sildani  
2005-03-11, 17:20

Well, in my experience with Best Buy, they've honored their warranty commitments with a Palm PDA, a cell phone, a television and a digital vid camera. They don't repair them, they replace them, so long as you have the extended warranty. And even if the equipment isn't broken, I've taken it back, with all my receipts and the original packing material, and they've replaced it for the latest model for the same price point I paid years before. That's why in good conscience I can recommend their service warranties. But then again, maybe it's just in my area that Best Buy has been as noble.

I would tend to agree that if you can get Apple Care for the iPod (I didn't know that you could) then you should probably do that instead of BB's extended warranty (just a little costlier I would imagine). In either case, get something because it seems that the iPod battery like sucks after a couple years (am I wrong on that??) and they are expensive to replace properly.

Check out the bluehair page for some witty, ad-free commentary on life as we know it.
  quote
torifile
Less than Stellar Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Durham, NC
Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-03-11, 17:43

Yes, you are wrong.

The beauty of AppleCare is that you don't need to buy it right away. As long as you buy it within the first year, you're ok.
  quote
Wyatt
On twitter: @bwyatt
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Near Indianapolis
 
2005-03-11, 21:02

Well, I've got my mini! I love this thing... her name is Stella and she's silver (to match my future iBook). I've only filled it about 1/3 of the way so far... since I don't have space for all of my music collection, I wanted to make sure I only put stuff I want on there.

I had a wierd problem with it early on, though... every time I plugged it in, as soon as iTunes started to sync with it, my computer rebooted. It was kinda freaky, but I got it working finally (I had to tell it not to auto-sync... but that's what I wanted anyway).

Overall, I'm pretty pleased. I'd always heard how easy these things are to use, but I didn't realize it was this easy. I was also impressed by the packaging... it's always shocking to see a company put that much work into the cardboard. It makes a man feel good to know he's buying from a company that pays such careful attention to detail... and it makes me want my iBook even more now.
  quote
Mac+
9" monochrome
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: I'm here
 
2005-03-11, 21:26

fcgriz I don't know where you are posting from, but occasionally the Apple store wil run a cram and jam promotion that will provide you with a mail in rebate if you purchase an iBook or PowerBook and a 20GB iPod. This could be just what you are after.

Here's an example from the Australian Apple (education) store: http://www.apple.com.au/education/cramandjam/
  quote
Mac+
9" monochrome
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: I'm here
 
2005-03-11, 21:30

Hey congrats on the mini - ignore the post above. I composed it and then went and read another thread whilst I waited for the preview ... then when I posted it I saw you had bought the mini.

As I said, I don't know where you are posting from - so "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush". The mini is a great iPod model. I'm sure you'll love it AND your iBook when it arrives!
  quote
torifile
Less than Stellar Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Durham, NC
Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-03-11, 21:38

Doing the cram 'n jam isn't bad even if you don't keep the iPod. It cuts the cost of the computer considerably.
  quote
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Minnesota
 
2005-03-11, 21:41

God damn they still have Cram And Jam going in Australia? I want it to happen here because I'm in the market for a new Mac and a new iPod. I was thinking of going for a Mac mini and a 6 GB iPod mini, but if I could get a 6 GB mini for $50 then I could afford to get a portable instead!
  quote
torifile
Less than Stellar Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Durham, NC
Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-03-11, 21:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
God damn they still have Cram And Jam going in Australia? I want it to happen here because I'm in the market for a new Mac and a new iPod. I was thinking of going for a Mac mini and a 6 GB iPod mini, but if I could get a 6 GB mini for $50 then I could afford to get a portable instead!
They probably will run it before school starts again. But if they hold true to form, the mini will be excluded. Think of it this way, get the iPod now and then when (if) they do the cram 'n jam again get an iPod and sell it. Net cost should be about the same but it takes a few more $ up front.
  quote
Mac+
9" monochrome
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: I'm here
 
2005-03-11, 22:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
God damn they still have Cram And Jam going in Australia? I want it to happen here because I'm in the market for a new Mac and a new iPod. I was thinking of going for a Mac mini and a 6 GB iPod mini, but if I could get a 6 GB mini for $50 then I could afford to get a portable instead!
It went off for a while, but my wife is sorely tempted now that we're in China to have a laptop of her own. I just happened to visit the Au education site and noticed that it was back on.

Only applies to 20GB iPods though - not the minis. (Also, why is it that the edu pricing will not allow engraving on the iPods? I have a number of students over here who have purchased iPods on my recommendation, but they can't get them engraved and take advantage of edu pricing )

Also, great advice from torifile there too. I think he did it that way last year sometime. Good initiative and conviction for following through with it!
  quote
torifile
Less than Stellar Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Durham, NC
Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-03-11, 22:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+
Also, great advice from torifile there too. I think he did it that way last year sometime. Good initiative and conviction for following through with it!
Yup. I didn't make as much on the iPod as I could have because I sold it to a friend but she was happy to get it and now we've got 3 other iPods in the office. All because she had one (I'm the computer geek so a gadget that someone else knows how to use and likes must be a good one to have. My contribution to AAPL's stock price....)
  quote
Posting Rules Navigation
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Post Reply

Forum Jump
Thread Tools
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Submissions now being accepted for my first AppleNova article murbot General Discussion 55 2008-11-10 22:53
New iPod or Price Cut? Vjsz Speculation and Rumors 62 2006-01-09 22:51
Please Help, I Want To Buy An Apple Ibook, Just Don't Know When kmoss52 General Discussion 18 2005-05-28 13:18
iPod Evaluation Messiahtosh Apple Products 14 2005-01-18 13:36
BMW+iPod=Official propellerhead Apple Products 6 2004-06-22 19:07


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:42.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004 - 2018, AppleNova