User Name
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Opinion on PM G5

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Opinion on PM G5
Thread Tools
New Member
Join Date: Mar 2005
2005-03-15, 22:26

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forums and this is my first post. I have been a member of the Apple 'cult' for over 4 years now, switching to Mac by purchasing a 15" Ti PB 3 1/2 years ago.

Thanks to my graphic designer job, I've always worked on Apple desktops and am looking to purchase my first Apple tower. My current PowerBook is a 667MHz with 1GB RAM and has been an awesome machine since day one. I have reached a point however that I need a more current machine, a powerhouse. I've had my eye on the G5 towers since they were introduced, but until now, couldn't find a way to fork over such a large sum of money.

As a graphic designer, I use my machine heavily in Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects and GoLive, a lot of audio & video editing as well as large scale print jobs such as event banners and vehicle wraps. I am confident a new G5 would surely take care of business that my 'lil PB is now beginning to struggle with.

Now the dilemma. Tiger is rumored to be released in the next month or so and curiosity is at a fever pitch as to what the next PM G5's will be. So, is it worth it to purchase a new G5 now or wait to see if Apple has something big wrapped up under thier sleeve come June? I am looking at the 2.5GHz model. I'm also very interested in being one of the first to get a hold of Tiger when it's released.

Even if I should somehow desperatly wait to see if a new G5 is revealed in June, how long might the back orders be? I mean if they come out in June will I be waiting until October to actually physically get one?

I guess I'm at a pretty big crossroad here with some major money on the line. Is it worth the $3000-3500 on a 2.5GHz G5? Any help is appreciated. I'd hate to purchase a machine today that may be half the price 3 months from now. If I'm going to spend this amount on a machine I want the most current top of the line!
Veteran Member
Join Date: May 2004
Location: New York City
2005-03-15, 22:30

Wait for tiger to be released (and if you can WWDC.)
When/if the towers are updated look to get an "old" 2.5 dual for a discounted price.

You save like $500 pretty easily.

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
New Member
Join Date: Mar 2005
2005-03-16, 17:20

Thanks Paul. I really trying to hold out, I'm just so eager to finally get a new machine. Do you think the pricing bracket will stay about the same with the introduction of the new models? (high end $3000 to low $1500)
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Recife, Brazil
2005-03-17, 01:41

the prices will be the same. Make sure to save some money for RAM. I'm also a graphic designer and I have a Dual 2.0GHz with 2.5Gb of Ram. There's nothing I throw at my computer that it doesn't chew up in seconds.

But dude, unless u really need it now... wait! Updates are less than 3months away for sure. Any Tiger's coming too...
Fishhead Family Reunited
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Slightly Off Center
2005-03-17, 01:51

if you want to maximize your bang for the buck, buy a refurb dual 2.0 NOW so you can use its power to make more money faster.

Load it full of RAM. When Tiger comes out, you can buy it with the money you saved, and have earned in the meantime.
Posting Rules Navigation
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Post Reply

Forum Jump
Thread Tools
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Your opinion of chiropractors Windswept AppleOutsider 19 2005-03-10 10:14
is copying 1,200 library CDs stealing music? ohara AppleOutsider 43 2005-01-26 21:53
eMac is the worst desktop of the year. Quagmire Apple Products 84 2005-01-04 08:25
Michael Dell is speaking... Messiahtosh General Discussion 72 2004-09-05 18:43
So how long have the speedholes had an opinion? AirSluf Feedback 5 2004-07-07 15:27

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:32.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004 - 2018, AppleNova