User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

advice requested: bought iBook before the upgrade

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
advice requested: bought iBook before the upgrade
gigimakka

2005-08-03, 14:29

I bought an 12" iBook three weeks ago. If I had known about the coming upgrade and waited for it, I could have had more RAM for the same price instead of having to buy it, to say nothing about the faster processor.

What options do I have now? Is there a way I can get it exchanged for the new model? BTW, I bought it at the campus bookstore, and they don't accept returns.

Please advise! Thanks!
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-08-03, 14:48

Nope, there's nothing you can do. But think of it this way - the new updates weren't really that great. Besides, if you had checked a few websites (like this one), you'd know that the iBook update was long overdue and coming any day. Sorry to sound harsh, but you don't really have much to complain about.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-08-03, 14:55

Luca is right. You're pretty much SOL.

You could try to pawn it off to someone on ebay, though. If you're really lucky, you might come close to breaking even with the student price you paid.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
.Hack
Valiant Vicks Vizier

2005-08-03, 15:42

EDIT: nevermind, was going to give Luca's suggestion, then read the whole thread and saw he'd gotten to ya a while ago ! Since you can't get a new iBook through Apple, Brad's suggestion of eBay looks like the best option if you really want an updated iBook.

Last edited by .Hack : 2005-08-03 at 15:47.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-08-03, 15:45

Yeah - it's an iBook, a great laptop. You could be using a Dell running Windows, then you would have something to complain about.
gigimakka

2005-08-03, 16:06

Thanks for the quick responses, everyone. I just switched to Mac, and much as I can understand this wouldn't have been hard to predict from where you're standing, it did take me by surprise. I had to move quickly to replace my old ThinkPad when it crashed, and all the research I did went into figuring out that the ibook was a better deal than, say, a Dell at a comparable price. So I guess I do have that consolation, huh?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-08-03, 17:32

The "consolation" is that despite the recent bump, you've still got a great machine that brings you to the world of Mac OS X and will last for a few years! Sure, it's not top-of-the-line any more, but nothing stays at the top for any longer than six months or so at a time anyway.

Welcome to AppleNova, by the way. Please take some time to browse around and search the forums. As a new Mac user, I'm sure you'll have lots of questions from the basic usage to specific cases. Most of us have been in your shoes at one point; so, don't let yourself get frustrated if something doesn't come naturally. Feel free to ask!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-08-03, 20:48

You won't be able to do anything about getting the safe-while-falling hard drive of the new ones, but you can turn the trackpad of the one you've got into a scrolling one. Look for iScroll 2, and you'll be good to go.