User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Wait for PB update or buy iBook now?


Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Wait for PB update or buy iBook now?
Thread Tools
Noel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago
 
2005-08-26, 22:28

Okay, so I'll be getting a new laptop before Christmas no matter what to replace my current iBook. But there is a problem.

Firstly, I'd really like to go with the 12" PB, but right now the specs are so much of a joke compared to the 12" iBook that I can't justify spending all that extra dough. I'd also like to do the "buy a Mac and get a free iPod mini" and the "buy a Mac and get $100 off a printer" deals.

My question is, do you think the PowerBooks are gonna be updated substantially at the Paris Expo, or will it be another sad upgrade? I want a good PB so much more than an iBook, but I also don't want to miss those awesome discounts only to be stuck with essentially the same choice between iBooks and PowerBooks that's available today.
  quote
DMBand0026
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Chicago
 
2005-08-27, 02:04

No, the PowerBooks will not be updated substantially. They'll probably get a 20mhz bump across the line and that will be mostly it.
  quote
Brad
Selfish Heathen
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Zone of Pain
 
2005-08-27, 02:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026
They'll probably get a 20mhz bump across the line
Twenty whole mega hurts?!

Seriously, though, the PowerBooks have been without an update since January. They are overdue for something, especially since the iBooks were just updated. Could the PowerBook line go a whole year without an update? It's never happened before, but you can never really know when it comes to Apple's unpredictable cycles.

In any case, I too doubt there will be any big updates in the next month or two. There's just not a whole lot left to the G4 processor's capabilities.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
  quote
DMBand0026
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Chicago
 
2005-08-27, 02:23

Actually, I didn't get my facts completely straight. According to our good friends over at AppleInsider, it's more like a 30mhz bump. Read all about it right here.

Edit: I guess Apple thinks there's more left in the G4s tank than you do Brad. They've apparently secured a supply of G4s for the next three years.

And one more thing...I love AppleNova. If it's possible, the ads at AI may have gotten worse. Viva La Revolution!

Come waste your time with me

Last edited by DMBand0026 : 2005-08-27 at 02:25.
  quote
Franz Josef
Passing by
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: London, Europe
 
2005-08-27, 05:17

It's difficult to predict bumps now that we're in the twilight zone pre Intel switch. I'd suggest you wait for Expo and if there's no bump then simply buy an iBook immediately.
  quote
Mommy8me
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Send a message via AIM to Mommy8me  
2005-08-27, 10:02

I just bought a 12" PB.
1.5 Ghz vs. 1.33
Better graphics card (i think)
PB Has much MUCH Better keyboard.
Larger hard drive
ibook doesnt have DVI out. (correct?)
ibook only does video mirroring (without hack)
PB is slightly smaller and *feels* more solid

These things were important to me ... especially the looks!

MBP C2D
  quote
Koodari
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
 
2005-08-27, 11:07

In response to mommy8me's arguments:

GPU used to be about equivalent, slightly better in the PB, but right now the iBook's GPU is better.
VRAM is still lacking in the iBook and that was a horrible decision from Apple IMO. Same with DVI. They must really hate selling displays since they won't let iBook connect to any of their own... even though it'll connect just fine to any other manufacturer's display on the market.
Having had the 15" PB and now the 12" iBook I don't think there is any difference in the keyboard.
The iBook video "hack" is reversible in case of doubts, rock solid, and to date I haven't seen a single "hack messed up my Radeon iBook" post. Mine is driving 1920x1200 through the VGA connector no problem.

I have been very happy with my January-bought iBook which I augmented with some more memory, BTO Bluetooth and BTO 60GB hard disk. The current model has Bluetooth and double the memory standard, so it'd probably be fine as is, or with a HD bump. 10% faster CPU and lots faster GPU just sweeten the deal.

To OP:

You're right not to get the current rev Powerbook pretty much no matter what.

However, you're not telling what you need from your computer and what you're going to use it for. That makes a lot of difference to whether you should wait for next Powerbooks or get the new iBook.
  quote
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
 
2005-08-27, 12:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz Josef
It's difficult to predict bumps now that we're in the twilight zone pre Intel switch. I'd suggest you wait for Expo and if there's no bump then simply buy an iBook immediately.

That's what I'm planning to do. But it still strikes me as rather odd that Apple would allow the free iPod promo to run right through till the end of the Paris expo.

Kind of makes me think that no PB revisions are in order.
  quote
rasmits
rams it
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Seattle
 
2005-08-27, 13:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026
Edit: I guess Apple thinks there's more left in the G4s tank than you do Brad. They've apparently secured a supply of G4s for the next three years.
I was under the impression that due to the 3 year Apple Care program, they'd need a supply of G4's for repairs. Even if by next month all of Apple's computers were Intel, they couldn't just cut all ties with Freescale and IBM instantly.
  quote
Noel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago
 
2005-08-27, 17:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koodari
However, you're not telling what you need from your computer and what you're going to use it for. That makes a lot of difference to whether you should wait for next Powerbooks or get the new iBook.
Mainly just web browsing, IM'ing, emailing and playing music, and quite a bit of photo stuff (iPhoto and Photoshop). It's nothing the iBooks can't handle, but it would be better with a PowerBook (or at least it would if they weren't the same as the iBooks).
  quote
sildani
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern Virginia
Send a message via AIM to sildani  
2005-08-29, 13:20

I was considering buying a new PowerBook back a few months ago but decided to wait for the update that never came.

I think what I am going to do now is buy a used one, perhaps on eBay or through a Froogle search. It would just break my heart to pay $2500 for a 15" superdrive/1 GB ram upgrade for a brand new one (1.67 Ghz) when I can pay $1500 for the same config except 1.5 Ghz. Sure, it's not the exactly the same config, but the differences in configuration don't justify the price difference if you ask me. And besides, buying used also nets you some niceties, like Apple Care and software.

If you don't mind buying used, consider an older generation PB at a discounted price.

Check out the bluehair page for some witty, ad-free commentary on life as we know it.
  quote
Swing
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Paris
 
2005-08-29, 13:51

Wait for the Paris Expo and then buy upon the announcement. The 12" PB may receive any or all of an increase in max ram, change from FW400to FW800, and/or better graphics capability.

If your budget is in the iBook range then buy now, as the iBooks are a good value.

(I just checked the posts above before posting this and it looks like Franz Josef said something similar, though I am too lazy to quote right now).
  quote
Posting Rules Navigation
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Post Reply

Forum Jump
Thread Tools
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is waiting for an iBook update worth $100 scrouds Purchasing Advice 17 2005-06-23 01:11
Wait a second, did I read that right? OSX for Intel? And other musings. HOM Speculation and Rumors 96 2005-05-26 16:35
When is the next iBook update? ROFISH Speculation and Rumors 40 2005-03-13 23:41
Debate: buy an iPod now or buy an iBook sooner? Wyatt Purchasing Advice 17 2005-03-11 22:35
What's accessing my hard disk??? (Help Please!!) stevegong Genius Bar 36 2004-06-11 19:05


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:30.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004 - 2019, AppleNova